Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Kumi
macrumors newbie

Whatsapp Image Storage

Hey y'all, I was just on Whatsapp, and my friend sent me an image. Once I downloaded and viewed it, i noticed a button labelled "Show All" at the top, which i hadn't noticed before. So just out of curiosity i tapped it and to my surprise it showed all the images that were exchanged between the contact and I over the course of me having my phone (even though restoring it a few times), even the images that i deleted off my phone, and deleted off Whatsapp (using the edit button, where you can delete a specific message). Now to be quite honest with you guys, I could get in trouble for some of those images if anyone were to grab hold of my phone and go through it....eek!!

So I was wondering if you knew this, and you know how to delete those images off the "Show all"... really need your help here, one Mac enthusiast to other Mac enthusiasts - please?

Last edited by Kumi; May 1, 2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Resolved
Kumi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Kumi
macrumors newbie

Any one?
Old May 1, 2011, 09:28 PM   #3
gbalex
macrumors newbie

Hey Kumi, I panicked too the first time I saw that feature (which has both the ability to be extremely useful or terribly damaging haha).

The solution is quite simple really, you just have to scroll to the top of the contact's conversation from which you want to delete the pics, choose 'Edit', and then 'Clear All'. This will delete ALL your conversation history with that contact from the WhatsApp servers, so if there's any special memento (ahem...) you wish to save, make sure to email yourself the chat history first (Settings -> Email chat history).

Hope this info helps!
gbalex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Kumi
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalex View Post
Hey Kumi, I panicked too the first time I saw that feature (which has both the ability to be extremely useful or terribly damaging haha).

The solution is quite simple really, you just have to scroll to the top of the contact's conversation from which you want to delete the pics, choose 'Edit', and then 'Clear All'. This will delete ALL your conversation history with that contact from the WhatsApp servers, so if there's any special memento (ahem...) you wish to save, make sure to email yourself the chat history first (Settings -> Email chat history).

Hope this info helps!
Yay!! this works!! cool thanks man!
Old May 2, 2011, 05:02 PM   #5
gbalex
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumi View Post
Yay!! this works!! cool thanks man!
You're welcome, glad to help!
gbalex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:51 PM   #6
Ibrahimzen
macrumors newbie

Any idea if these images are stored only in the device and not in some kind of whatsapp servers?

I couldn't grab any information on this from Whatsapp website.
Ibrahimzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 09:36 AM   #7
KevinHK
macrumors newbie

Permanent delete of whats app message on other persons phone?

As usual with forums.... find the topic but answer doesn't correspond with my experience...

"scroll to the top of the contact's conversation from which you want to delete the pics, choose 'Edit', and then 'Clear All'"

Choose Edit? How? No edit button. Only the name of the contact and a small thumbnail on the left and a paperclip for attachment and a smiley to bring up smiley menu. No edit function I can see at all.
KevinHK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:42 PM   #8
blablablahahaha
macrumors newbie

If you are using samsung well tap the back button where u can see all of your conversations listed just like when you open up whatsapp to see your messages but before choosing any contact then tap the options button then press settings go to chat setting then you will find delete all conversations and clear all conversations I hope I helped m8
blablablahahaha is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps