Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmmcgowan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
I am currently a Kindle user but I have ordered an iPad 2 and I am waiting on the delivery. Although I did not get the iPad as an e-reader it only makes sense to carry the one device. Will I be able to access my current books at Amazon if I download the Kindle app?

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Yep sign in with your amazon account and they will be listed in your archive

dmmcgowan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
I have order the Wi-Fi version of the iPad. Will I be able to see the books when I do not have connectivity?

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I was a Kindle user until I went on to the original iPad and have never looked back. I greatly prefer iBooks to the Kindle app, but my old Kindle books work just fine on the Kindle app.

TRust me, you'll never look back.

dmmcgowan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
I should wait ti get the iPad and so I have access to iBooks but as you can tell I am excited. It does not look like you can access the iBooks store unless you have the application. Can you purchase books in iBooks on your computer and then transfer them to the iPad via iTunes?

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
I was a Kindle user until I went on to the original iPad and have never looked back. I greatly prefer iBooks to the Kindle app, but my old Kindle books work just fine on the Kindle app.

TRust me, you'll never look back.

I still use both and prefer the Kindle app much more than iBooks. The Kindle itself still gets used the most for reading, however I'll use the iPad for some nighttime reading and magazines.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
You might consider keeping both. The Kindle is small and IMO much better for reading on.

MacAttack888

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2009
I have a kindle and carry it around along with my iPad. I find reading on the kindle to be a much better experience. It's lighter and the screen is easier on the eyes. I do use the kindle app on my iPad for books with pictures and books for my daughter. I had iBooks but erased it.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hold on to your Kindle. For a while I used the iPad as my e-reader but have slowly transitioned back to the Kindle. It's just a much more comfortable reading experience. I still occasionally use my iPad and the kindle app though.

And while I agree that the iBooks app is a better designed app than the Kindle app, being able to read my books on any device is keeping me in the Amazon camp.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Hold on to your Kindle. For a while I used the iPad as my e-reader but have slowly transitioned back to the Kindle. It's just a much more comfortable reading experience. I still occasionally use my iPad and the kindle app though.

And while I agree that the iBooks app is a better designed app than the Kindle app, being able to read my books on any device is keeping me in the Amazon camp.

Kind of tough to generalize on this one. Some people like the Kindle, others like the iPad. I spent 18 months on Kindle 1 and 2 and then went to the iPad and just can't go back. I've used the Kindle 2 or 3 times since I started reading on the iPad and it just doesn't do it for me anymore. I certainly understand that some people prefer the Kindle for reading, but there's no "right" answer for everyone on this issue.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I use Kindle 3 and iPad 2 depending on the circumstances. I bought the Kindle after using the Kindle app on iPads 1 and 2. both devices have their time and place.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Kind of tough to generalize on this one. Some people like the Kindle, others like the iPad. I spent 18 months on Kindle 1 and 2 and then went to the iPad and just can't go back. I've used the Kindle 2 or 3 times since I started reading on the iPad and it just doesn't do it for me anymore. I certainly understand that some people prefer the Kindle for reading, but there's no "right" answer for everyone on this issue.

I agree.

I have owned the iPad since day one and enjoy reading with the iBook app. I also use the Kindle app for books not available from Apple.

I just purchased a Kindle 3 special offers model due to the very low price. It is a very nice device and the special offers do not get in the way of reading books. However, it is not for me.

I read two books using the Kindle 3 and missed many of the iPad features. I enjoy the book like quality of the iPad. I like being able to highlight a word or phrase and then search google for more information. (I prefer reading history books so getting more detail or a different opinion is important to me.) The interface is much easier to use.

For me the only things Kindle 3 have to offer is low price, long battery life, and being able to read in sunlight. However, I don't even read printed material in sunlight as the reflection off the white paper is hard on my eyes.

I prefer non-fiction and my wife prefers fiction. She has yet to read an eBook from any device.

Last night I bought from Kindle the next book in the series of fiction she is reading. She will use the Kindle 3 to read it. Then she has a book to read on my iPad. If she likes the Kindle 3, it is hers. If she prefers the iPad, I will give it to her and return the Kindle 3. Then I will buy an iPad 2 for myself.

As you said, it is personal choice.

Last edited:

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
BTW

I forgot to mention my biggest frustration with the Kindle 3 - SYNCING!!!

The Kindle 3 and the Kindle apps only sync to the furtherest location. If you look ahead or look at the index, all your apps sync to that location. Also if you are reading non-Amazon purchased books they do not sync.

iBooks sync where you last read which may not be the furtherest location. Also if you have DRM free epubs, they will sync.

I often get a few minutes reading from my iPhone at work. Syncing is very important to me.

This is the MAIN reason that I am not keeping the Kindle 3.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
BTW

I forgot to mention my biggest frustration with the Kindle 3 - SYNCING!!!

The Kindle 3 and the Kindle apps only sync to the furtherest location. If you look ahead or look at the index, all your apps sync to that location. Also if you are reading non-Amazon purchased books they do not sync.

iBooks sync where you last read which may not be the furtherest location. Also if you have DRM free epubs, they will sync.

I often get a few minutes reading from my iPhone at work. Syncing is very important to me.

This is the MAIN reason that I am not keeping the Kindle 3.

The bookmarks feature is your friend. :)

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
The bookmarks feature is your friend. :)

That works well with Kindle purchases. :)

However they don't work with DRM free books. There are pre 1923 history and other books available from many sources that I still have on my to read list. They wouldn't sync between Kindle apps but will sync between iBooks apps.

rontej0226

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
I just bought an ipad 2 and I have the kindle 3. I am keeping both because the kindle looks less shiny on the train in NYC.

dmmcgowan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
So I finally received the iPad and so far so good. I have added both iBooks and the Kindle app but I am going to try the iBooks for a little bit

The one thing I have noticed on the Kindle app, all by books are there but my NY Times subscription is not syncing tonthe iPad any ideas why not?

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Just an update.

My wife didn't care for the Kindle 3. It is being returned.

She loves reading from the iPad! I guess I will be ordering an iPad 2 for myself since I lost my iPad to her!

Super Sneb

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
I have both an iPad 2 and Kindle 3, I use my iPad for reading at work and around the home but I still use my kindle for sleeping when in bed.

I also plan on using my Kindle for reading on Holiday when Im around the pool/on the beach :)

Sam

Blarneystone

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
I have both an iPad 2 and Kindle 3, I use my iPad for reading at work and around the home but I still use my kindle for sleeping when in bed.

You should try a pillow for sleeping instead of a Kindle. Much more comfy. :p

J/K, the kindle is easier to read in bed and I often doze while reading. It hurts far less than the iPad when it cracks against my forehead.

I also plan on using my Kindle for reading on Holiday when Im around the pool/on the beach :)

Right, I cannot read my iPad screen at all in full sun.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I have an iPad and the Kindle3 and a Kobo. I use all three. iPad is for all my magazines, comics and TPB. It has so many readers it covers all my formats. I use my Kindle for straight text and my Kobo for Library books. I just like readers. I remember when they would cost $400, now at $100 and below I can't resist them. My Kobo cost me $60.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.