Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Instead of typing the word "command" or "control" I want to hit the key and have the program display the symbols for them ... ??

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
There is not a way to do it direct as far as I know, but the easiest way I now of is to use copy and paste. I keep a copy of this list in "Notational Velocity" and "xPad" for easy access.

⌘ = command
⌃ = control
⌥ = option
⇧ = shift
⇪ = caps lock
⇥ = Tab Key
⎋ = Escape Key
⏏ = Eject Key
⌫ = delete (the one above the return key)
⌦ = forward delete (the one in the page up/down/home/end cluster)
⌧ = clear (???)
⏎ = return

Another way is to use "Show Font" from inside TextEdit and Select "All Fonts" from the Collection column then go to the bottom of that column and click the gear and chose "characters" and then from the new window where it says View select All Characters again. then clcik "By Category" and scroll down to "Technical Symbols". Now you will see the symbols you want. Play around with this and you will find a lot of symbols and characters you can use and save to "Favorites" and have easy access to. This is not as difficult as it seems once you use it a few time.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks so much! I'll do the same.

Speaking of, your post reminds me of two other questions I have ..

1) Notational Velocity - I heard it mentioned on the Mac Power User podcast. What are its advantages? Why would you use that as opposed to iLife, Word, etc?

2) Is there a way to import a formatted document (complete with spacing, bold, italic, etc) and convert it to HTML so that I can upload it to wordpress or something like that? Thanks!

-Eric

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
Thanks so much! I'll do the same.

Speaking of, your post reminds me of two other questions I have ..

1) Notational Velocity - I heard it mentioned on the Mac Power User podcast. What are its advantages? Why would you use that as opposed to iLife, Word, etc?

2) Is there a way to import a formatted document (complete with spacing, bold, italic, etc) and convert it to HTML so that I can upload it to wordpress or something like that? Thanks!

-Eric

Notational Velocity and xPad are both free, so download and try. I don't know of anything like them in Windows that use a Drawer to keep note handy, there maybe but I never found anything like them when I was using Windows. Notational Velocity I use because it will keep my notes in sync with all my Macs, iPods touches and iPads. There is no Notational Velocity for the Pads and Pods but Simplenote will sync with Notational Velocity. By using these apps I can keep all the notes that I refer to often handy at all times.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Ah I see - I'll play with it; thanks again!

Any idea about the second question? It's making me bonkers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.