Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohwhatanight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2011
I really would love to get the new iMac as soon as it comes out. Be it tomorrow, or next week or next month. But, at the end of the day, should I wait for Lion, as opposed to buying the computer and then having to buy Lion separately?

Thoughts?

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
From the way you present your answer, it looks you can wait. I am currently contemplating the idea, and I am leaning toward waiting. 1st to see customers feedback regarding the new hardware and second to get Lion for free ;)

Orme

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
UK
I was thinking about this and I would just like to know.. what's the big deal?

Few questions:

Can't I just update it when Lion comes out?

Surely it doesn't cost that much?

Is it better to buy it pre installed than update it yourself?

What's the big deal in waiting or buying now, is it just a matter of cost/money?

What's the difference between getting it now and waiting?

Thanks

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not at all ... I won't be upgrading to lion straight away anyway ... I would wait a couple of months let the OS stabilise ... I'm getting the new iMac and sticking to snow leopard for a while and so should you

ohwhatanight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2011
Thoughts...

Well, essentially, the biggest pro to waiting till Lion comes out is that you won't have to pay the cost of the upgrade. The biggest con is that we aren't really sure when Lion is coming out (though we aren't sure when the updated iMac's are coming out either). The other biggest con is that with all new OS's, there are bugs in the beginning. Sometimes it's worth the wait, and the price for the kinks to be worked out before one upgrades. Snow Leopard is a well running OS at this point.

A question for those who may know the answer...in the past, when a new OS has come out, did they offer it at a discount for those who recently purchased a computer?

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Whats 129$ when you are spending over 2000

Orme

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
UK
I agree

I've decided I'm not bothered/not going to wait for Lion to be preinstalled into the new iMacs simply because I am a new mac user, I've never owned a mac before and I want to be able to experience Snow Leopard before Lion.. Just so I have had that experience and so I can say I have experienced Snow Leopard.. Good enough reason right? :) :cool:

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
Its a hundred freakin bucks.

Just lay off starbucks and mcdonalds for a month and you got your $100 right there. (Most likely its either going to be $129, $99 or $79)

Heres one *disadvantage* of waiting: if you get it with Lion installed, thats the oldest OS it will run. So if you have software that "breaks" in Lion but works in Snow Leo -- you cant go back.

And this is at least the 10th post on this.

Orme

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
UK

Just lay off starbucks and mcdonalds for a month and you got your $100 right there. (Most likely its either going to be $129, $99 or $79)

Heres one *disadvantage* of waiting: if you get it with Lion installed, thats the oldest OS it will run. So if you have software that "breaks" in Lion but works in Snow Leo -- you cant go back.

Oh really?

Thanks for that, definitely going for an iMac with Snow Leopard to start off with then.

Cheers again! :)

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008

Really? That's actually something I've never paid any attention to. So if a computer is running SL one day and the next Apple sells it with Lion pre-installed the person buying the one with Lion can't stick a copy of SL in it and downgrade the OS?

Orme

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
UK
Really? That's actually something I've never paid any attention to. So if a computer is running SL one day and the next Apple sells it with Lion pre-installed the person buying the one with Lion can't stick a copy of SL in it and downgrade the OS?

...That is what he said..

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

1) Regardless of what snacks you give up you still are spending $100 if you buy 10.7 a la carte. If you want to actually save then wait a month when it will be included.

2) Macs are not likely to ship with 10.7 preloaded for at least a month after 10.7 ships. If history is any guide 10.7 will be a drop-in "upgrade" disc. This time around, however, it might be a download via the Mac app store.

No. What he means is that you can't install an OS version lower than what originally shipped on your Mac. However 10.7 is not going to be preloaded on Macs on Day 1. It will take a month at least so if you buy a Mac when 10.7 ships and it has 10.6.x preloaded then it will run 10.6.x and you can upgrade to 10.7 or not.

Last edited:

I AM THE MAN

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Well, essentially, the biggest pro to waiting till Lion comes out is that you won't have to pay the cost of the upgrade. The biggest con is that we aren't really sure when Lion is coming out (though we aren't sure when the updated iMac's are coming out either). The other biggest con is that with all new OS's, there are bugs in the beginning. Sometimes it's worth the wait, and the price for the kinks to be worked out before one upgrades. Snow Leopard is a well running OS at this point.

A question for those who may know the answer...in the past, when a new OS has come out, did they offer it at a discount for those who recently purchased a computer?

Of course it is speculation, but the iMacs are most likely coming in tomorrow with all the SOLID evidence we've been getting. Usually if those who follow the Apple rumors for a while, you eventually get the "drift."

I honestly think we'll be seeing them tomorrow. Of course, I can be proven otherwise.

turbobass

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't mean to derail this discussion, but aside from the question of waiting for Lion is there any other STRONG reason why snagging this new hardware may bite early adopters? (With glitches, etc.?)

I'm not saying "wait for reviews" as I am going to be getting this iMac no matter what, I mean, specifically, bugs and hardware glitches that may punish us early adopters for our envy :)

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
wirelessly posted (mozilla/5.0 (iphone; u; cpu iphone os 4_3_2 like mac os x; en-gb) applewebkit/533.17.9 (khtml, like gecko) version/5.0.2 mobile/8h7 safari/6533.18.5)

whats 129$ when you are spending over 2000

$129.

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
just buy the computer and have fun with it.. i'm sure you can afford the upgrade if you buy a 2000$ machine anyways.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
You can wait for Lion if you're willing to accept the fact that rumors of another iMac refresh may have surfaced at that point. :)

Seriously. Buy the iMac if you need it. Wait if you don't.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I've always followed the policy of not being one of the early adopters of a major OS release; it tends to have more bugs.

When Snow Leopard came out, I waited till 10.6.2 or 10.6.3 (can't remember which) rather than take a chance with 10.6.0. I wanted my computers to be stable and not waste time finding out what doesn't work. Also waiting for a point release allows applications to catch up with the OS. You'd be really annoyed if your favorite 3rd party app doesn't work with the new OS.

mjsteelega

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Raleigh, NC
touch screen iMac?

So I figured I would revive this thread with a new speculation. With some much talk of the convergence between OSX and iOS, I am very curious if the next gen iMacs will begin to incorporate touch screens? (not that I expect anyone to actually know the answer to that).

I'm on a gen1 Intel iMac. Was the best purchase I have made in years. Still runs well, but slowing considerably as I've gone from Tiger -> Leopard -> Snow Leopard.

But I am due for an upgrade, and my kids are old enough that they need "their own" machine so they are getting this "hand-me-down". (not bad considering my first computer was an Apple IIc! (yikes I'm old! hehe).

So I am still 90% committed to waiting for the next gen iMacs w/Lion to make my upgrade. Anyone else what to jump on the speculation of what might be in the next machines?

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I really would love to get the new iMac as soon as it comes out. Be it tomorrow, or next week or next month. But, at the end of the day, should I wait for Lion, as opposed to buying the computer and then having to buy Lion separately?

Thoughts?

Are you a student or know one? Wait til the free iPod promotion haha. Sell the iPod and BAM! That should cover Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.