Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IfanUk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I have an old iBook G4 and it tells me that no battery is installed even when there is a working battery in place, anyone have any clue to what is up?

IfanUk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Ok. I tried the battery on a friends iBook and it works fine. My charger also works in his iBook. I was told that it might the the DC In Board?

kensenjiha

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
Some terrible place
I have a PowerBook G4 12" 1.25GHz 2004.

:cool:

The G4 era battery cells can be replaced with new 18650 Li-ion cells. No software hack needed. and they are not like Intel books' batt with annoying "self-destroy" fuse. I really hate those ******!.

after the hardware work, no software "hacks" needed. But you need to calibrate the battery gauge, maybe 10 to 15 times. Because, within each cycle, the gauge IC only raise the capacity by 256 mAh at most.

There was a web page with a step-by-step guide. I lost the URL and can't find it any more. Maybe I should post my guide on ifixit.

Just ask some electronics DIY guy help you guys to do this. And, Good luck!

and, safety precautions:
1. There's no guarantee, at all.
2. be very very careful, don't mess with Lithium-ion batteries.
3. If you don't know what you about to do, DON'T do it!

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I have a PowerBook G4 12" 1.25GHz 2004.

:cool:

The G4 era battery cells can be replaced with new 18650 Li-ion cells. No software hack needed. and they are not like Intel books' batt with annoying "self-destroy" fuse. I really hate those ******!.

after the hardware work, no software "hacks" needed. But you need to calibrate the battery gauge, maybe 10 to 15 times. Because, within each cycle, the gauge IC only raise the capacity by 256 mAh at most.

There was a web page with a step-by-step guide. I lost the URL and can't find it any more. Maybe I should post my guide on ifixit.

Just ask some electronics DIY guy help you guys to do this. And, Good luck!

and, safety precautions:
1. There's no guarantee, at all.
2. be very very careful, don't mess with Lithium-ion batteries.
3. If you don't know what you about to do, DON'T do it!

I don't think it has anything to do with the battery, it is most likely the DC in board, since the battery n charger worked on a different iBook.

AWallen90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
There is a chip on the board that manages how much power goes to the battery and how much is used to power the computer, it cuts power to the battery once it is fully charged and so on. Sounds like that chip is shot. I'm sure someone on here can tell you the exact name of the chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.