Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old May 2, 2011, 08:48 PM   #1
alex011
macrumors newbie

Help required! MBA wont recognise ethernet cable being used to connect xbox to xbl...

Hey guys,
I've been using my air to connect my xbox to xbox live as i dont have a wireless adapter and the router is unreachable by cable.
I've had a fair few problems achieving this, however i have had it working.

However now my mac isn't recognizing the ethernet cable. It claims the cable is unplugged or the device on the other end isn't responding. However in 'networking' under 'system preferences' it would normally show an amber light if this was the case. (currently shows the red dot)

i currently have the IPv4 set to manual with my ip at 10.0.0.1, subnet at 255.255.255.0 and internet sharing set as on.

I'm confused as to why when it has been working before it has suddenly stopped, and why the mac isn't recognizing it at all. I've also tried restarting.

Can anybody help?
(have the USB Ethernet adapter fyi)
alex011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 05:08 AM   #2
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Perhaps you fried the adapter. If the MBA does not see it...either the adapter is bad or the usb jack. At least that's my guess.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 05:40 AM   #3
alex011
macrumors newbie

damn that'd be annoying, not had it too long. Any idea how i could test this?
alex011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 10:37 AM   #4
chaoticbear
macrumors 6502

If you look at this article, it looks like you could try playing in the "location" settings - I don't know if Apple has released any sort of update for this or not. My ethernet adapter has never worked, I bought one for the Wii, and it works fabulously on there. It's just never been enough of an issue for me to try and fix.
chaoticbear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 11:14 AM   #5
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Not all adapters work on the MBA. I bought the gigabit adapter from mono-price and it works fine. Of course, there is always the apple adapter.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air