Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Skittles.com has been updated with the Star Wars themed iPod giveaway that was previously reported.

The upcoming Star Wars iPod appears to simply be a Star Wars engraved iPod with a custom iSkin.

According to the disclaimer at the bottom of the page "Apple is not a sponsor or partner in this promotion." So, the iPods are simply aftermarket modifications.

stoid

macrumors 601
That Skittles website is really really ugly, and so is the Star Wars iPod, doesn't even look much like Star Wars, they could at least put an Imperial or Rebel logo on it somewhere. The good news is that I won't have to eat a sickening amount of Skittles. :rolleyes:

soniquev8

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2004
It would be an awesome marketing move for Apple though... release 6 iPods, one for each movie, to commemorate the end of the Star Wars movies. They could laser-engrave black and white versions of the posters on the backs of the iPods.

I probably wouldn't buy them, but collectors and SWSuper-geeks would definately get them... especially if there were a limited run... say 100-1000 each. Maybe with certificates of authenticity, signed by George Lucas and Steve Jobs.

I should be in marketing.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
soniquev8 said:
It would be an awesome marketing move for Apple though... release 6 iPods, one for each movie, to commemorate the end of the Star Wars movies. They could laser-engrave black and white versions of the posters on the backs of the iPods.

I probably wouldn't buy them, but collectors and SWSuper-geeks would definately get them... especially if there were a limited run... say 100-1000 each. Maybe with certificates of authenticity, signed by George Lucas and Steve Jobs.

I should be in marketing.

thats a great idea, and im sure others have thought of it as well
but putting together something like this is a lot different, actually gettinig everyone at apple, and people over at LucasArts, and Lucas himself in on it is another story altogether

they are ugly iskins, at least you can take em off if you win

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
stoid said:
That Skittles website is really really ugly, and so is the Star Wars iPod, doesn't even look much like Star Wars, they could at least put an Imperial or Rebel logo on it somewhere.

Or a picture of Jar Jar... You know that'll sell.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
stoid said:
That Skittles website is really really ugly, and so is the Star Wars iPod, doesn't even look much like Star Wars, they could at least put an Imperial or Rebel logo on it somewhere. The good news is that I won't have to eat a sickening amount of Skittles. :rolleyes:

I thought the same thing about their website. Too much color and flash animation.

If I ate Skittles and happened to win, I would just put the iPod on eBay. Already have an iPod that isn't that ugly and I'm sure it would go for some decent money from a Star Wars fan that collects everything.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
A Star Wars iPod sounds good to me. Like the look. It seems that Skittles is trying to get on the bandwagon with the popularity of the iPod and Star Wars.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
good. this would have hurt apples rep. i don't mind sw but nobody would like ipods anymore if there are special ones for geeks..

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Any cross promotion is good for both parties. With the notable exception of Pizza Hut filling all their stores of JJB advertising several weeks ahead of the movie's premiere. I believe they lost money on that collaboration.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I doesn’t look as though Apple and Mars have actually teamed up. An engraved iPod with a special skin doesn’t add up to anything other than a neat little advertisement. It doesn’t look as though it would hurt Apple's reputation.

It is good advertising for Mars. We are talking about the associated brands, and in advertising it doesn’t matter if it is good or bad in the long run.

I could see myself lusting after a H2G2 "Don't Panic" iPod or "Encyclopedia Galactic". But I digress.

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
Macrumors said:
"Apple is not a sponsor or partner in this promotion." So, the iPods are simply aftermarket modifications.

Thank goodness apple didn't sell out for this.

musiclover137

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2005

Attachments

• ms-ipode728.gif
    ms-ipode728.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 122
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.