Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smugDrew

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
in a dwelling
One of the many reasons I've always like the MacBook Pro is that it has a protective glass between me and the LCD panel.

The LCD panel on the 13" MBA looks amazing, so clear, such high resolution for the panel size - all positives. BUT what always happens over time, is that the LCD panel collects dust and other odd marks. And on the MBP it's easy - window cleaner and I'm done.

So is it difficult to keep the MBA panel clean? If it does develop the inevitable 'odd marks' on it (seems to happen most ofter during winter, funnily during flu season), is the panel easily cleanable? Will cleaning the LCD panel impact on the long term longevity of the panel? Any help would be super appreciated.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
One of the many reasons I've always like the MacBook Pro is that it has a protective glass between me and the LCD panel.

The LCD panel on the 13" MBA looks amazing, so clear, such high resolution for the panel size - all positives. BUT what always happens over time, is that the LCD panel collects dust and other odd marks. And on the MBP it's easy - window cleaner and I'm done.

So is it difficult to keep the MBA panel clean? If it does develop the inevitable 'odd marks' on it (seems to happen most ofter during winter, funnily during flu season), is the panel easily cleanable? Will cleaning the LCD panel impact on the long term longevity of the panel? Any help would be super appreciated.

It does collect dust, but it's not that big of a deal because you don't really notice it. Now, what I don't like that much is that when you are trying to clean things off of the screen, they often get a little stuck in the bezel at the edges of the screen since there is no edge to edge glass. It's not that big a deal, though.

I certainly don't mind it as out of all the computers I've owned in the past, none have had edge to edge glass lol.

smugDrew

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
in a dwelling
It does collect dust, but it's not that big of a deal because you don't really notice it. Now, what I don't like that much is that when you are trying to clean things off of the screen, they often get a little stuck in the bezel at the edges of the screen since there is no edge to edge glass. It's not that big a deal, though.

I certainly don't mind it as out of all the computers I've owned in the past, none have had edge to edge glass lol.

Thanks for your reply :cool:

Is there a specific cleaning liquid that's best for cleaning any accidental; we'll call them 'sneeze marks' off a MBA panel?

I know I might be a bit over worried about this, but I crave a MBA but I'm worried about the lack of protection of the LCD panel...

Flake

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
the dust gathering up in the edges is kinda inevitable. doesn't really bother me though. I just casually wipe dust off with my sleeve every once in a while. I make sure nothing splashes on it and I never touch it

smugDrew

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
in a dwelling
Thanks for everyone's responses. Yes, I think the lightness and all the other positives really far outweigh what I thought was a negative - but really it's no big deal. :)

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere

There's no need for a glass cover, the display is very durable. It's also easier to keep clean. I use a clean micro fiber cloth, dampened with warm water. Works far better than any screen cleaner.

I've had lots of Mac laptops and every display had remained like new after years.

halledise

macrumors 68000

a generous splash of dish-washing liquid and hose it off.
leave to dry in the sun.
polish with Mr Sheen or similar.
that should do the trick.

or - turn off the MBA
gently wipe screen with a damp cloth
buff with lint free soft cloth - twice
taking especial care around the edges.

if you can still see dust and lint after that, then you have excellent 20/20 vision.

seriously - keeping the Air's screen clean and dust free is not a big deal ;)

SiddharthK

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Cleaning MBA or MBP screens

A visit to a local Photography store is required

1) A blower (typically used for removing dust from camera sensors): This will help you remove dust from edges and keyboard.
2) A lens cleaning micro fiber cloth: damp it with cold water and wipe over the screen.
3) leather chamois: Very soft piece and leather and ideal for remove marks like finger prints, oils marks etc.

Always keep you screen cloth/ chamois separate and do not use for cleaning anything else (like keyboard etc)

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
This issue is also concerning to me. I own a 2006 matte MacBook pro that has had its display replaced several times due to discoloration that appears about a year after having the display. I alway keep everything clean and never touch the display so my hypothesis is that the display, when closed, touches the keyboard a little and some of the keyboard oil rubs on the display. Is this an issue with the MBA? I am really drawn to the high res screen, but also would prefer that protective glass :/

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
If you're worried about the keys touching the screen, use one of those Screensavrz, or something similar.

Other people in this forum have already identified this as a possibility: The keys do touch the screens under certain circumstances, both on the 11" and 13" (do a search on this forum, it's been widely discussed).

I think I'm going to do the same myself when I get mine.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
How 'bout those dust wipes that are used for tables, that attract dust and make the dust stick to the wipe as you clean? Do they help with the Air's screen cleaning?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.