Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old May 3, 2011, 06:00 AM   #1
iTouch.lover22
macrumors regular

Leather Smart Cover - Any Major Issues?

I'm about to buy myself a Smart Cover, and putting the price aside, I love the look of the black leather one. My question is, are there any major issues with the leather ones? As noted on Apple's website, it says some of colour may rub off, is this noticeable/does it happen a lot? Also, how easily does it stain? Fingerprints? How about cleaning the leather? The iPad 1 case was simply a matter of water and a microfiber cloth, what's the method this time round? Help from anyone with a leather one would be appreciated, but especially if you have a black one. Cheers!
Old May 3, 2011, 06:06 AM   #2
TC25
Banned

I have the black leather one and there are no issues.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 06:10 AM   #3
iTouch.lover22
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
I have the black leather one and there are no issues.
What happens if the leather gets wet? Not like full soaking, just drops of water landing on it. Will it leave marks?
Old May 3, 2011, 07:00 AM   #4
TC25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTouch.lover22 View Post
What happens if the leather gets wet? Not like full soaking, just drops of water landing on it. Will it leave marks?
No.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 07:11 AM   #5
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

As long as you dont trip the cover's numerous water sensors, you'll be fine.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 07:12 AM   #6
glen e
macrumors 68030

own shoes? all your questions answered, just like your shoes - needs to be cleaned and buffed a bit - this stuff solves it all- once a month with finger application keeps my black one looking like the day I bought it:

glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 09:10 AM   #7
sotie
macrumors 6502

Agreed, apply a leather protector/cleaner once a month and you're good. The only issue I have with it is that the microfiber inside collects skin oils as you handle it and those oils leave horizontal stripes on the ipad screen when the cover is closed. However, this is the same with all smart covers. So I clean the inside of my smart cover about once every 5-7 days. When it's freshly cleaned the problem is gone.

To clean it I just use a couple of drops of dawn dish soap on a wet wash cloth and scrub away at the inside. Then I go over it again with just a wet wash cloth to remove as much soap as possible.
sotie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 09:58 AM   #8
glen e
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotie View Post

To clean it I just use a couple of drops of dawn dish soap on a wet wash cloth and scrub away at the inside. Then I go over it again with just a wet wash cloth to remove as much soap as possible.
agreed - a bit easier is mist (not soak) windex with a microfiber towel.
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 10:17 AM   #9
sotie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
agreed - a bit easier is mist (not soak) windex with a microfiber towel.
I'll try that next time! Do you wipe with a wet cloth after to remove the windex chemicals?
sotie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 10:35 AM   #10
oakie
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to oakie Send a message via Skype™ to oakie
it's very, very simple: wipe it down with a water moistened towel if it gets dirty. do not submerge it in anything. the dye used may bleed during the first few wipe downs. a leather smart cover should easily last at least a few years, unless you abused it. by then you'll have replaced your iPad twice anyways and today's smart covers probably wont fit later iPads.

if you live in an especially dry or warm climate: leather gets brittle and cracks if allowed to dry out, something you can avoid by using a leather conditioner. most brands of leather conditioners will tell you how and how often to use their product.

put it back into perspective, folks: it's just a cheap cover with a single side covered in average to below average grade leather. it'll look the same after a year with only damp cloth cleanings. it's a protective cover, not a sofa
oakie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 10:46 AM   #11
cutiedoggy
macrumors newbie

well, my red leather one kinda stained my bodyguardz skin, slight colour run and now my screen protector has a light patch of red
cutiedoggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories