Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTouch.lover22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
I'm about to buy myself a Smart Cover, and putting the price aside, I love the look of the black leather one. My question is, are there any major issues with the leather ones? As noted on Apple's website, it says some of colour may rub off, is this noticeable/does it happen a lot? Also, how easily does it stain? Fingerprints? How about cleaning the leather? The iPad 1 case was simply a matter of water and a microfiber cloth, what's the method this time round? Help from anyone with a leather one would be appreciated, but especially if you have a black one. Cheers!

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
As long as you dont trip the cover's numerous water sensors, you'll be fine.
:D

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
own shoes? all your questions answered, just like your shoes - needs to be cleaned and buffed a bit - this stuff solves it all- once a month with finger application keeps my black one looking like the day I bought it:

6a40d11e.jpg

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Agreed, apply a leather protector/cleaner once a month and you're good. The only issue I have with it is that the microfiber inside collects skin oils as you handle it and those oils leave horizontal stripes on the ipad screen when the cover is closed. However, this is the same with all smart covers. So I clean the inside of my smart cover about once every 5-7 days. When it's freshly cleaned the problem is gone.

To clean it I just use a couple of drops of dawn dish soap on a wet wash cloth and scrub away at the inside. Then I go over it again with just a wet wash cloth to remove as much soap as possible.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
To clean it I just use a couple of drops of dawn dish soap on a wet wash cloth and scrub away at the inside. Then I go over it again with just a wet wash cloth to remove as much soap as possible.

agreed - a bit easier is mist (not soak) windex with a microfiber towel.

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
it's very, very simple: wipe it down with a water moistened towel if it gets dirty. do not submerge it in anything. the dye used may bleed during the first few wipe downs. a leather smart cover should easily last at least a few years, unless you abused it. by then you'll have replaced your iPad twice anyways and today's smart covers probably wont fit later iPads.

if you live in an especially dry or warm climate: leather gets brittle and cracks if allowed to dry out, something you can avoid by using a leather conditioner. most brands of leather conditioners will tell you how and how often to use their product.

put it back into perspective, folks: it's just a cheap cover with a single side covered in average to below average grade leather. it'll look the same after a year with only damp cloth cleanings. it's a protective cover, not a sofa

cutiedoggy

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
well, my red leather one kinda stained my bodyguardz skin, slight colour run and now my screen protector has a light patch of red :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.