Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bennettave

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
Im interested in setting up a media machine. I'd like to be able to stream hi-def video/sound over the web without hiccups. Is the base-everything 27" more than enough, or should I consider paying more in some area?

Thanks! I really don't know if RAM, VRAM or the video card will matter for this application.

bennettave

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
bump.

Does anyone have input on this? I'm currently using a TiBook 1GHz w/ 1Gb RAM. It sucks for streaming content. My internet connection is fast though.

Is the base 27" more than enough to stream any HD content I'd want?

sth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The old world
Any model will do.

Your TiBook is probably too slow for decoding HD video in realtime (even my old Core2Duo MBP had problems with that, depending on the bitrate).

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Is the base 27" more than enough to stream any HD content I'd want?

Is this a serious question? Let me understand what you're trying to do. You're asking if a Sandy Bridge CPU is good enough to be able to play 720p HD content (most likely to not be 1080p) streaming from a website? Is that really the question? You're wondering if the computer is good to enough to consume and play back 720p videos from the internet?

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Your internet connection and download speed will be the greatest limiting factor in what you are looking to do, not the speed of any of the iMac machines.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
Your internet connection and download speed will be the greatest limiting factor in what you are looking to do, not the speed of any of the iMac machines.

Exactly!

spend more money on a faster connection.

Any iMac made in the last several years can do what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.