Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
So I'm selling my 1,1 Mac Pro, but keeping my 2.5" Intel SSD. I know we don't have much clarity about the HDD+SSD option (but the guesses suggest it's a blade PCI interface like the MBAs). I'm not up for paying Apple $600 for their SSD.

My question is, what's the best way to interface the 2.5" SATA SSD to boot from? Are there Thunderbolt enclosures yet? I'm guessing FW800's antiquity negates the advantages of an SSD? Maybe Thunderbolt-to-e-sata adapters?

Input/suggestions appreciated! I wasn't sure whether to call this an upgrade or downgrade or what so I just used the ->.

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
one more question

Does anyone know if the stand for the new 27" iMacs can come off? I'm planning to carry it overseas with me in a suitcase (as I carefully have done with my Mac Pro and 30" Dell monitor) but I think the stand will have to come off for that to work.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The SSD option in iMac could be a regular 2.5" SSD like it was in the previous gen. The blade SSD uses mSATA, not PCIe by the way.

There aren't any TB devices available yet but there should be within two months (OEMs have said Q2). If you have to get it to boot now, then a temporary USB or FW800 enclosure should be fine but otherwise, wait for TB.

EDIT: At least in the previous iMacs the stand can be detached.

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
Thanks - all helpful! The previous generation SSD never had the option to be installed in conjunction with a HDD, right?

I forgot my third option - opti-bay or whatever to put an SSD in place of the optical drive. I've done this on my MBP and don't miss the optical drive often at all. Of course, this isn't easy job to swap out myself.

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
Hmm so I hadn't realized there was a BTO dual HDD+SSD option with the last generation iMac. Guess I need to research that. Much of what I've been reading suggests against doing this on your own. I'm pretty brave with opening Macs (and learned a difficult lesson tearing a paper-thin ribbon in my uMBP) but the iMac might be out of my league. $600 for an SSD (esp when I already have one) is hard to envision, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.