Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

223937-iphonekeynote.jpg

While increasing numbers of reports are pointing to a later-than-usual introduction for the fifth-generation iPhone, potentially with an unveiling at Apple's traditional September iPod-focused event, some observers have still been holding out hope that Apple will launch the new device at its Worldwide Developers Conference in early June as it has done on a regular basis in recent years.

One MacRumors reader has, however, received word from an AT&T customer care representative that Apple has officially informed the carrier that there will be no new iPhone released in the usual June-July timeframe.

The disclosure came after the reader noticed that his eligibility date for a subsidized upgrade had been pushed back by over five months and contacted AT&T to inquire about the reason for the change. As part of a response outlining AT&T's criteria for determining upgrade eligibility dates, the agent reportedly offered the following statement as fact:
Apple has informed us that they do not plan to release the iPhone in the June to July timeframe, though there will be a newer version in the future. Unfortunately, we have not been given a release time for the new phone. We will release this information on our website when it is available to us.
We are always skeptical about such information shared by customer-facing representatives of Apple or associated companies, as those employees are essentially never provided with that level of information ahead of any official announcement. We feel, however, that due to the specific nature of the claim and its presentation in a matter-of-fact manner expressly citing Apple as the source of the information, the tidbit is worth sharing.

Article Link: AT&T Rep: Apple Has Told Us No New iPhone in June or July

brucku

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
The only thing that sucks about this timing change is that my iPhone 4 won't still be under Apple's free 1yr warranty when I re-sell it to buy an iPhone 5.

TheyCallMeSaint

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010
Meh...

Disappointing, but expected. This actually brings up more questions than answers though:

1) Is this a permanent move to a Fall Release of the iPhone?

2) When, if ever, are they going to unite the CDMA and GSM iPhone releases (possibly in iPhone 5 with "World Chip")?

3) Does this affect the timing of iOS's release, which has traditionally been released with the new iPhone and has been centered around the iPhone's hardware?

4) The iPod touch has traditionally been released months after the iPhone. If the iPhone is released around Sept, will they release the iPod touch along with it?

Meh, I don't have an upgrade for 1.5 years, so it doesn't matter to me. But still interesting.

LightSpeed1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Washington D.C.
Safe to say at this point we will have to wait. Man, I had that upgrade waiting. But then again, what's another three months to wait from the usual release date?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I can wait, but if I seriously need to buy a phone, I'd just go ahead and plunge for the 4.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

I'm guessing 'yes' simply because I think "Because they want it to be in the fall" is the one reason for moving it that makes the most sense to me. I think that's the whole point.

3) Does this affect the timing of iOS's release, which has traditionally been released with the new iPhone and has been centered around the iPhone's hardware?

I have less reason to believe it, but I sure hope that iOS 5 still comes out in the summer. I'd like to see iOS updates divorced from hardware updates, just like it is with the Mac.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Disappointing, but expected. This actually brings up more questions than answers though:

2) When, if ever, are they going to unite the CDMA and GSM iPhone releases (possibly in iPhone 5 with "World Chip")?

4) The iPod touch has traditionally been released months after the iPhone. If the iPhone is released around Sept, will they release the iPod touch along with it?

Meh, I don't have an upgrade for 1.5 years, so it doesn't matter to me. But still interesting.

Also, would they be pushing it back for a possible 4G capable iPhone?

And I would bet anything they will have white and black from day 1.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
What I'm really guessing happened is that AT&T had no idea why the upgrade got pushed back and they covered it up with this, coincidentally matching the rumors. (or the AT&T CR looks at these tech rumors)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
pfft, this should not be front page news, hell not even second page... just a bunch of hearsay from a CR that knows nothing about it and speculates BS.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Since the iPhone 4 is a strong hardware device and now that we have the iPad 2 out, I think most of the focus for the short term has been on Lion and iOS 5. iOS 5 could bring some really great features to the existing hardware and buy Apple the time to make the next hardware change more significant.

We will see... but in the long run, it should be good.

Travis284

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
iOS 5 at WWDC and new iPhone hardware at an apple special event in September. You heard it here first.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
pfft, this should not be front page news, hell not even second page... just a bunch of hearsay from a CR that knows nothing about it and speculates BS.

It's funny that it was reported and it's funny seeing people treat it as credible.

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
I wonder why they've moved it to a later date?

I would guess part of the reason is the "White" Iphone was just released and they are hoping they can unload them all.

All I can say the new one better have a 4" screen, 8Meg Camera, More memory, IOS 5 and a faster processor. What else did I miss :)

Edit: added 4G to wish list

This is almost the standard specification for most Android phones any more so I don't think I'm asking for too much.

Last edited:

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
OMG....I would NEVER take information as fact from an "ATT customer service agent". I have received so much wrong info or even been dare I say lied to, I would never trust what a random ATT rep said.

Not to mention, the service reps are so far down the chain of command, they would not have info on when the next iphone is being released.

simon-says

macrumors regular
May 24, 2005
Louisiana
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Kinda funny one of my lines just had it's eligibility for upgrade moved up nearly 5 months. Late September to next week, May 9th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.