Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:40 PM   #1
ad0mas
macrumors newbie

iPod classic 5th gen motherboard

Hi guys, this is my first time posting, but well, without any further fuss...
I have a 5th generation iPod Classic which I got from my friend as he dropped it and claimed hard drive no longer worked. Upon replacing the hard drive, it still wouldn't boot. Then I discovered there is a busted component on a motherboard, just right beside the battery connector.
After some googling I found out there is an identical component to the left side of the dock connector. So my question is- what is this component called and is there any way I could find a replacement online?

Here are few photos attached, hope it makes some sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1268.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	461612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1269.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	461613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1270.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	461619  

ad0mas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 01:39 PM   #2
brsedu
macrumors newbie

The parts you are referring to are soldered on to the mainboard and it may be just as costly to get replace those parts as it would to buy a replacement mainboard. A replacement mainboard usually runs $50-$60 on eBay and requires a somewhat careful approach and delicate hand to replace, but it is definitely easier than soldering parts. Just make sure you look at the part number on the rounded edge (just below the screen. It is either 820-1763-A or 820-1975-A).

Repair guides can be found at ifixit: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod+5th...eplacement/615

Or you can go with a repair service where you send in your iPod, pay them for the part and installation. Rapid Repair does this kind of work.
brsedu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 05:00 PM   #3
ad0mas
macrumors newbie

Thanks, brsedu. I looked at iPods with faulty hard drives, they run at around 20-30 (that'd be around 40-50USD). I think I might just get one and swap the parts around, and keep the rest for further spares.

Although getting a repair service would be most reliable of all, I think a working iPod 5G would be cheaper than getting one fixed

Why I was asking for those parts, it's just my dad works in a place where they make computer boards so I could get it soldered no probs. But if they're costy as you say, it's not worth the effort I suppose :/
ad0mas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod