Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Mar 10, 2005, 04:13 PM   #1
Fredstar
macrumors 6502a

Need a bit of advice

Bear with me guys (This is not another ibook vs Pbook thread), I picked up a nice lil second hand 12" rev a Powerbook and i think it really is a stunning piece of kit, if it were a bird it would be Evangeline Lilly. Design wise i prefer the Powerbook a lot more than the ibooks. 867mhz is also definately fast enough for my portable needs for a laptop - that is Word/Mail/Firefox and general light use. But the battery life is between 2-2.5 (lowest settings) and the Airport reception isn't great at all, for example i can't use it in my room or in front of the tv, which i would like to do - something i could do with my old G4 ibook and my imac now. So i have two choices:

1)Buy a new battery (89) and buy a new Access point to extend coverage (40)

OR

2) Go all out and Buy a new 12" Rev D and sell this one

So a few quick questions to help me decide:
1) Has the airport reception actually gotten better with the rev d Powerbooks?

2) Has the battery life got any better?

3) Has the screen got any better?
There is a bit of lag on my present 12" and i am not sure if a combination of a better graphics card and a better screen would make the rev d's better?

4) Is it any cooler?

thanks guys, help me make my decision
Fredstar is offline   0
Old Mar 10, 2005, 04:20 PM   #2
jjmaximum
macrumors member

Keep what you got

I've got a rev. C PB and don't get near the AP reception that my iMac G5 or iBook get. Battery life is the same 2-2.5 hours, so I don't think a new battery would help much. I would keep what you got for a year or so then get the next generation (G5?) when it comes out.
jjmaximum is offline   0
Old Mar 10, 2005, 05:00 PM   #3
yippy
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to yippy
What are you guys doing? If I turn down the screen brightness I get 3-3.5 hours on my 15" Rev C Powerbook.

The new 12" does have a few new cool features. Like scrolling on the trackpad and Bluetooth 2.0 plus a standard 5400rpm hard drive. Although I doubt it gets any better Airport reception.
yippy is offline   0
Old Mar 10, 2005, 05:13 PM   #4
Fredstar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippy
What are you guys doing? If I turn down the screen brightness I get 3-3.5 hours on my 15" Rev C Powerbook.

The new 12" does have a few new cool features. Like scrolling on the trackpad and Bluetooth 2.0 plus a standard 5400rpm hard drive. Although I doubt it gets any better Airport reception.
My Powerbook is like 2 years old, it is the good ol Rev A so it has been through quite a few cycles already.
While those features are nice (won't use/need BT 2.0) and getting a new Powerbook is great and just fresh, i just am not sure i can justify getting a new one.
The main thing i would be looking for is a better battery life and a bit better Airport reception than my 'rev a' so i can browse/work while watching tv and around my bedroom, also a better screen with less lag when moving windows etc and perhaps a slightly cooler one (not necessary really but does get a lil bit uncomfortable on my lap)
Considering i could be spending about 960 with education (i am a student) for a brand new 12", and if i sell my present one i guess i could get about 570, add on 90 for battery and that is near 700...for another 260 i could get a brand new pbook, a faster processor etc etc

Last edited by Fredstar; Mar 10, 2005 at 05:16 PM.
Fredstar is offline   0
Old Mar 11, 2005, 01:57 PM   #5
Fredstar
macrumors 6502a

anyone care to give their opinion on the rev d pbooks screen quality?
Is it any better than the Rev A's or does the better gfx reduce the lag that i see with my rev A?
Fredstar is offline   0
Old Mar 11, 2005, 04:02 PM   #6
varmit
macrumors 68000

PB, since being metal, have trouble with wireless over distances. I think its because of the metal its made of, it shelds the antenna. I know my iBook I could walk far away from a base station and still get a connection, while my new PB only gets about half the distance. Its a bummer alright.
varmit is offline   0
Old Mar 11, 2005, 04:13 PM   #7
chaosbunny
macrumors 68000

I have a RevA 12" and no troubles at all. Tested it out in our house. I have 1-2 bars 20 metres away from the base station through 2 stone walls!.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:46 PM   #8
JzzTrump22
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to JzzTrump22
If you can't resolve the airport situation any other way. I would try and sell it and buy a newer model (atleast rev c).
JzzTrump22 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers