Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Ive got a compilation album in iTunes, with it sorting by artist. I got round that problem by putting an abbreviation of the album name at the beginning of the artist title, but now the track numbers are not in order like all my other albums. Anyone know why?

Cheers

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I think a screenshot of the iTunes window would help understand what it is you experience...

I'll try and sort that out....

You know how it always sorts by track number as a secondary criteria? Well the compilation doesnt seem to. Think that makes more sense :)

Cheers

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
you might want to make sure that "part of compliation" is checked for all of the tracks in their info...

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
benpatient said:
you might want to make sure that "part of compliation" is checked for all of the tracks in their info...

Tried that I'm afraid, no luck :(

Cheers

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Does anyone know what "part of a compilation" actually does? I think it's just info and not a real setting per say. This is one of my biggest complaints about iTunes, i want to browse by artist *except* for compilations. I wouldn't have expected iTunes to do it, but I saw "Part of a compilation" as an option, and got my hopes up.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
paulwhannel said:
Does anyone know what "part of a compilation" actually does? I think it's just info and not a real setting per say. This is one of my biggest complaints about iTunes, i want to browse by artist *except* for compilations. I wouldn't have expected iTunes to do it, but I saw "Part of a compilation" as an option, and got my hopes up.

I think this is exactly what Part of a compilation does. However, you have to have "Group compilations when browsing" checked in the iTunes General preferences. Then those songs will appear as a generic "Compilations" in the Artist browse window.

passaickid

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2005
Ipod Re-Orders Song

I have experienced the very same issue and it is frustrating...Example:
I own the CD. I have added it to my iTunes collection.

On transfering it to the iPod, the song order is changed--for no reason that I can determine... i.e. not alphabetical etc.. :confused:

As the artisits had a reason for the order the songs were placed on the CD of their material, it is frustrating to here it rearranged into a different order!

Any suggestions very welcomed.
Thanks

JonoColesUK

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2005
London UK
make sure that your import prefferences are set up so that the song files have track numbers attached

if not youll have to do it manually

by changing the info of each track

:S

adam0981482

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2009
A Solution

I have had this problem on several occasions. Most recently, while ordering tracks in a compilation I made by buying individual songs to match an old album the songs were listed out of order but grouped by album.

I was able to fix this by removing the information under "Album Artist" for each of these songs. Since many of these songs were taken from greatest hits albums, they listed the same information under the "Artist" tag as "Album Artist". Since I was making a compilation, any song with information for Album Artist was grouped individually. By removing all of the info for this tag on all the songs in the compilation, I was able to get everything ordered logically.

I hope this helps!

tmofee

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Mildura
couple of things to check -

make sure all the tracks are uniform. if some files have "artist" and "album artist" filled in and others only have "artist", it will cause the files to be out of whack.

check to see if the others have disc number entries as well. also see if the track number has 1 of 8, for example. if one track has track 1 of (blank) and others have 1 of 8, it causes issues too.

i know it sounds funny, but little variations cause the WORST headaches when it comes to albums. best bet if you cant see it is to completely rewrite the track files yourself.

also a biggie - make sure the id3 formats are all formatted the same. it's a quick and easy convert too.

jamehavelock

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2010
combining multi-part albums in the correct track order

Hello there

This is not ideal but at least allows you a playlist in order. Select your album in album view, then view in Track Number order. Don't worry if they are spread all over the place - now drag these highlighted tracks into your play list. This add them in the 'correct order' - as viewed by selecting the first column as the sort order.

The reason I use this is to drag CD1 and CD2 across in the track order and then albumize the whole list to create a single album in the correct track order.

J
:apple:

SarahB338

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
How to sort album by track numbers in iTunes

I uploaded a CD to my iTunes and a couple of the tracks were out of order. This drove me nuts until I figured it out. iTunes will sort the music by criteria other than the tracks if available.

How to fix:
-Select all the tracks for that disc.
-Click "Get Info" (Click OK if it warns you for changing multiple tracks' info).
-Make sure there is a check in all the checkboxes that there possibly can be:
e.g. I check off the following boxes for a single album:
artist, album artist, album, grouping, composer, comments, genre, year.
(some I fill in because it is the same for all tracks, some I leave blank)
-Click OK.

Since the track number is pretty much the only thing left to sort by, that's how iTunes should order them now.
For me this works because I label my files very minimally, only necessary information (artist, album, genre, year, track#s, artwork). I leave the rest of the info blank because it's not information I'll ever reference or sort by.

VICTORY at last!
Hope this helps others :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How to fix:
-Select all the tracks for that disc.
-Click "Get Info" (Click OK if it warns you for changing multiple tracks' info).
-Make sure there is a check in all the checkboxes that there possibly can be:
e.g. I check off the following boxes for a single album:
artist, album artist, album, grouping, composer, comments, genre, year.
(some I fill in because it is the same for all tracks, some I leave blank)
-Click OK.
Another first-time post by a newbie with bad information! DON'T DO THIS, unless you want to lose information! DO NOT check all boxes mentioned above! It's not necessary and will erase information you may want!

iTunes does NOT sort albums based on Artist, Composer, Comments, Genre, Grouping or Year. If 2 songs in an album are composed by different people, or there are comments unique to each song, doing what this poster recommended will erase that data. The same is true if not all songs in an album have the same Genre, Year, etc.

All that is required to make sure albums are sorted together is identical information in Album and Sort Album, Album Artist and Sort Album Artist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.