Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old May 5, 2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Born2Run
macrumors newbie

Accessing Mac ext. hdd from Windows

I've got a MacBook Pro and have a 2tb WD External Drive connected via FireWire... I've tried to share it with my brothers Windows 7 (Home Premium) PC and after a bit of messing around I can get it to see the Mac and the external drive but it can't access any of the shared folders on that drive!

There's 2 folders on the drive ('Movies' and 'TV') when I try and access it in Windows it comes up saying 'Windows cannot access \\MAC\Movies ...etc...'

Any ideas?
Old May 6, 2011, 12:22 AM   #2
MacFanJeff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Run View Post
I've got a MacBook Pro and have a 2tb WD External Drive connected via FireWire... I've tried to share it with my brothers Windows 7 (Home Premium) PC and after a bit of messing around I can get it to see the Mac and the external drive but it can't access any of the shared folders on that drive!

There's 2 folders on the drive ('Movies' and 'TV') when I try and access it in Windows it comes up saying 'Windows cannot access \\MAC\Movies ...etc...'

Any ideas?
You did not list what version of Mac OS you are running, but it's easy to fix no matter what. I take from what you said you are wanting to access a Mac formatted hard drive under Windows 7? If so, you most likely need a program such as "MacDrive". I use it all the time with Windows 7 Ultimate and it works perfect for access to all my Mac formatted drives rather internal or external.

Hope that helps.
MacFanJeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac