Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
On my iMac the bluetooth symbol has a lightning bolt through it and when I click on it it says "Bluetooth not available".

What is that all about? I restarted twice and its still goddam there!!! How can bluetooth just BREAK?

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
This has happened to me. To fix:

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and
the power button at the same time.

4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This has happened to me. To fix:
That's only for Apple portables with built-in batteries. It won't work on an iMac.
Will this work on an iMac with a USB keyboard plugged in? Because you mentioned MagSafe adaptors and stuff...
No, for an iMac see:
"Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve"​
near the bottom of this page: Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Although resetting the SMC doesn't specifically address bluetooth problems. You may have a faulty bluetooth component.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Well even though the method above is for the MacBook family it seemed to work on my iMac. Although it may just be temporary. If it happens again I shall try the proper way for Mac desktops :)

Thanks guys!

potz1024

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
UK
Hi,

My recent experience with a similar problem in case it helps anyone.

I noticed that bluetooth performance was deteriorating on my Mac Pro over the course of a few days. The mouse movement was sometime gitterie and ever now and then it would drop out completely. It was on my list to investigate, and I was wondering if it was something to do with the reasonably large distance between my Mac Pro and mouse.

Then all of a sudden audio on my Cinema Display connected to the Mac Pro became crackly and I decided on a reboot. After the reboot, audio was even worse and I had 'Bluetooth not available'.

Found this thread and did an SMC reset (for Mac Pro, shutdown, power cord out for at least 15 seconds, power cord back in, wait another 5 seconds, power on).

No I have bluetooth back and audio is fine.

:wq

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.