Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njs083

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2011
Hi,

Today I received my new iMac and all excitement dissapated the moment I tried booting up my iMac for the very first time.

There is a noise coming from the iMac (guess it's the fans) but the screen simply stays black. Nothing happens. No lights, no beeps - nothing.

What could be the issue? I tried doing the PRAM thing but with no luck. Is this a dudd or am I simply doing something wrong.

It's my very first iMac purchase so not happy at the moment.

Thanks - help will be greatly appreciated!

jukeofurl

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Not sure...

Did you turn on your wireless keyboard & mouse first, before using the power button on the computer? you need to do that. ( Yeah I know tricky...) They should light up if the batteries work. (Batteries could be a second part of the problem, if it still fails to boot. Then you'll need to deal with new batteries. Or make sure they are in there!)

It takes a few seconds to synch or pair the mouse & keybd. ( 5+/- secs ) so it might take a few tries. Once they are lit - push the power button on. You should hear an audible tone. Then click mouse. Hope that works. If it boots you'll obviously know - you get the Set Up Assistant screen.

If not, sorry - call Apple & have them talk you through it - you'll at least have them to help find out whatever is wrong.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.