Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bertomactic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Santa Ana
i keep getting the "Kernal Panic" Error on one of G5 1.8 ghz ( all in one version) and on my G4 Quick Silver. What is the Kernal Panic error, what casues it and how do i fix it ????????

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Kernel Panic is (essentially) the equivalent of the Windows "Blue Screen of Death." It can be caused for a variety of different reasons.

What were you doing when you had the Kernel Panics? Has it happened more than once?

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Kernal Panic = hardware failure

9 times out of 10 it's RAM that causes this. Take out your memory one stick at a time and see if you get the same panic. If the KP's stop then you will know the stick you have out of it is to blame.

bertomactic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Santa Ana
Kernal Panic = hardware failure

9 times out of 10 it's RAM that causes this. Take out your memory one stick at a time and see if you get the same panic. If the KP's stop then you will know the stick you have out of it is to blame.

Oh no.....i opened the Imac G5 (all in one) and there appears to be an expanded cap with a little brownish powder on top of the capicitor.....
is there any point in continuing trying to fix this Mac...........i really dont want to put a lot of money into this particular Mac.......??!!

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Capacitors are sold for under two dollars! Just replace the cap, and make sure u practice your soldering skills first! ;)

bdesul

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Replacing Capacitors Effectiveness

Hey adcx64 -

Do you think that replacing the capacitors would elongate the
life of the computer a few more years? Or once they go, do the replacements tend to blow out easier than the originals? Or could there be residual damage to the logic board from leaking capacitors?

I have the same issue as bertomactic but have zero soldering experience. Just trying to figure out if it is worth it for me to give it a try.

I appreciate any help. Thanks, Bdesul.

bdesul

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Hey Nameci,
Would it be worth spending $200 to have fixed or should I give the soldering a
shot? I just dont want to screw something up and have to buy a new logic board. Is the soldering difficult? I appreciate the help.
Thx, Bdesul

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Soldering it is easy for me since I am a tech guy by profession. If you are not comfortable enough better let the professionals do the job for you. But $200 is too way expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.