Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010

Dresevski

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2011
Minnesnowda
So many kit numbers!

I had the same problem and ordered from the second link. I just made sure all of the specs were correct. Then today I was fooling around on crucial.com and found out that the kits were not the same number, then i found that the kit I ordered (second link) was claimed to be incompatible...weird. The iMac uses laptop RAM so you'll be good with the Newegg link

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
yea thats the reason im confused, it says the one in the newegg link is incompatible.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
So you ended up buying the Crucial RAM? Is it still better than the G.Skill one? Why did you think so? I'll be buying my own RAM too ;)

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
no i didnt buy the ram yet, im pretty sure the crucial one is the best one to get for the new 2011 iMacs.

I dont know where ill buy it, im sticking with the stock 4GB at the moment.

what about u?

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
no i didnt buy the ram yet, im pretty sure the crucial one is the best one to get for the new 2011 iMacs.

I dont know where ill buy it, im sticking with the stock 4GB at the moment.

what about u?

I'll most likely buy it from Newegg or Amazon

I'll upgrade the stock with 8GB more. And have been thinking about the Corsair from Amazon, the Crucial you mentioned and maybe the G.Skill one.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
well iv read some bad reviews about the corsair which scared me so i crossed corsair out, im not sure about the G skill either but it has many reviews meaning many people bought the G skill one and most are positive, the Crucial has a decent amount of reviews aswell without any bad reviews either(other than people buying the wrong ram and leaving bad reviews for crucial lol )

but yea i cant spend 90 bucks at the moment on the ram but once i can im definitely gonna do it, im also thinking either from Amazon or newegg.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Once I get my 27" iMac, I'm going to be ordering the 8GB kit from Crucial. Seems like the best bet.

I don't think there will be any issues with adding 2 4GB sticks to the included 2GB sticks, would there?

phlydude

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Newark, DE
I bought the G.Skill 8GB kit from Newegg for $83 shipped...it should get here tomorrow or Tuesday and the iMac arriving sometime this week, most likely Friday or Saturday

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
why is OWC better than Crucial? and its not 6 bucks, more like 25 bucks.

I bought the G.Skill 8GB kit from Newegg for $83 shipped...it should get here tomorrow or Tuesday and the iMac arriving sometime this week, most likely Friday or Saturday

any reason why u chose gskill over crucial?

I bought this from newegg, is it ok?

CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145281&Tpk=CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9

on the newegg.ca site, there's not many bad reviews so i went with it. (only 80 bucks for 8gig) Anyone else have this kit for their new imac 2011?

yea that seems like the correct specs. why Corsair though and not crucial or Gskill? only 5 bucks more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
Ok, then $25. Just an example.

Because you are still using words like "seems like" :confused:.

So your Corvette needs new tires and you buy the cheapest thing you can find that "might" work. Seems backwards.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Ok, then $25. Just an example.

Because you are still using words like "seems like" :confused:.

So your Corvette needs new tires and you buy the cheapest thing you can find that "might" work. Seems backwards.

Eh, that's different. RAM is all basically the same, and most brands are actually manufactured by the same people, so that's definitely a buy based on price, unless there are all sorts of bad reviews. Tires are definitely different, and have serious effects on how the car drives, based on what you get.

jgo78

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
why is OWC better than Crucial? and its not 6 bucks, more like 25 bucks.

any reason why u chose gskill over crucial?

yea that seems like the correct specs. why Corsair though and not crucial or Gskill? only 5 bucks more.

thx, had good luck with corsair so far.

capitaine

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
I recommend getting the same brand of ram that's in your iMac. This is just based on personal experience and from reading a crap ton of forums on this topic. I went with a few different brands all of which ended up crashing my iMac (i7 2010) until I found out that it doesn't play well with other brands. Got the Samsung ram and it's working very well.

So if you're upgrading, I'd go with this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2011/DDR3_21.5_27

Make sure to scroll down and get the samsung ram, if that's what you want to do, of course.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
how can i find out what ram my 2011 imac came with without opening the ram slot physically, in "about this mac" it doesnt say anything about the brand.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
Why is it people spend $2000 on a computer but then try to save $6 on ram -- just to have to "guess" and get the wrong stuff or stuff that "might" cause lockups and/or kernel panics?

Or buy based on reviews that say "Works, good price." -- on what kind of machine?

Im not sure how this page counldnt be more clear:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2011/DDR3_21.5_27

EXACTLY!! and that is why as a new iMac buyer I'll be ordering from your link not crucial. newegg or any other brand

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Very simple the late 2010 iMacs and mid 2011 iMacs use the same RAM. Brand is NOT repeat NOT important. What is important are the specs (does it meet what Apple recommends in the owners manual) and like most RAM does it have a lifetime guarantee.

capitaine

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
Very simple the late 2010 iMacs and mid 2011 iMacs use the same RAM. Brand is NOT repeat NOT important. What is important are the specs (does it meet what Apple recommends in the owners manual) and like most RAM does it have a lifetime guarantee.

Actually brand is important. I wish it wasn't but sadly in these iMacs it is.

Jon the hat

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
UK
Once I get my 27" iMac, I'm going to be ordering the 8GB kit from Crucial. Seems like the best bet.

I don't think there will be any issues with adding 2 4GB sticks to the included 2GB sticks, would there?

I did this already, overnight delivery, £67 all in, took 2 mins to install and works great.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
You still didn't explain though, what makes the OWC ram more compatible or reliable or better than the Crucial Ram? Is it MADE / Designed for the imacs rather than the Crucial being made for PCs.

I dont mind spending the extra $20 bucks if that will mean BETTER performance and better RAM stick, but i never even heard of OWC so thats why im hesitant.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
You still didn't explain though, what makes the OWC ram more compatible or reliable or better than the Crucial Ram? Is it MADE / Designed for the imacs rather than the Crucial being made for PCs.

I dont mind spending the extra $20 bucks if that will mean BETTER performance and better RAM stick, but i never even heard of OWC so thats why im hesitant.

No it's not better performance.

They market to macs but it's not made for macs necessarily. Ram is ram. It's not specific to macs or PC's. Macs are pc's, they use the same parts.

Even for high end ram you see PC system builders use the performance difference is minor at best.
However laptop ram is all the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.