Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirluk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2011
England
Hi All,

I would love some advise from anyone who has experienced this before. Some coke was spilt on my macbook and yip big disaster, but saying that everything is working fine except the screen which just remains black.

Now I stripped it all down and cleaned the logic board especially near the LVDS connecter. Pictures attached before it was cleaned.

Still nothing but every now and then a flash of light will appear but then goes back to black. Reason why I know everything is working fine is if you connect and external monitor it boots up and everything is there.

I would love some advise from anyone who is experienced or my know, is it the logic board that could be damaged where the LVDS is or the cable. I do though have a feeling its the logic board which means mega pennies here in the UK, £400 + and don't come second hand that easily. As for the cable its expensive but not as much as the logic board £60 +.

In anyone experience is there anything else I can do before shedding money out and advise would really be appreciated :) or if anyone someone know who deals with second hand logic boards at a reasonable price in UK or aboard if prepared to ship.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 130
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

discounteggroll

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Greenwich, CT
yeah that does not look good at all. Is there still brown on the capacitors and components after cleaning? If you can remove all visible spill marks and the computer's still under warranty you could try and play dumb. However, it looks like that is pretty permanent visible damage, and second hand logic boards are hard to come by, and quite expensive as you have said. There are places that take your logic board in and send you a refurb'd one as a replacement, but I have never used them so I cannot attest to their reliability.

gadgetgirluk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2011
England
Thank you for your reply. Yes everything has been cleaned and looks new again including all the capacitors which don't have the brown blobs on anymore.

The LVDS connection on the board when taken out doesn't look as though it got wet or damaged on the connectors, just think the top of the cable got most of it, but it was a little sticky near it on the board. Not looking good really is it. Think I was hoping for a miracle :)

Shall have a look if anyone in UK does exchanges for refurb ones so thanks for the suggestion never thought about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.