Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old May 7, 2011, 03:10 PM   #1
cly88
macrumors newbie

Internet suddenly very slow

I have an iMac that's about 4 months old. Recently I've noticed my Internet speed has dropped from around 15mbps download to 4-5mbps. At first I assumed it was my ISP but my iPhone and iPad are both testing at the right speeds which tells me it's my mac. I've done a reboot and have also tried Chrome, Safari, and Firefox and they all come up with the same results. Any tips are greatly appreciated. FYI I'm hooked up with Verizon Fios.
cly88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 10:54 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

What is the topography of your network? I assume you have the incoming fiber connection to the modem, a router, and then the link to your iMac/iPhone/iPad. Is your iMac hardwired to your router?
Old May 17, 2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Butler Trumpet
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Butler Trumpet
Try this first... open System Prefrences, go to Network, then at the top where you see "Location" Create a new location. Make sure you click "Apply" with the new location selected. How is your speed now?

The next thing I would try, would be to launch "Network Utility" from the Utilities folder.... then go to "Ping". Now, type in www.google.com and set the number of pings to 1000 (or some big number) .... Let it do its thing and then at the bottom it should tell you how many pings came back. Anything around 98% or higher is acceptable. Anything below 90% is problematic.

Could also be a number of other things.... Bad OS, Bad User Account... and worst of all, bad AirPort Card.

Good Luck!
Butler Trumpet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 05:15 AM   #4
John T
macrumors 68020

Don't blame your iMac! Most likely a network problem. Have you tried a speed test? Your iPad and 'phone are, most likely , on a different network/ISP.
John T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 05:36 AM   #5
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

You haven't moved it have you? I put mine in a corner once and the Internet connection more or less died on account of the receiver being behind the little black apple on the back.
NutsNGum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:13 AM   #6
WRXHokie
macrumors regular

I suddenly have this problem with my iMac. Its a late 2007 model, has always worked fine. Then I get FiOS and internet speeds are woefully slow. My other Mac's and PC's in the house do not have this problem, just the iMac.

When I first got FiOS I found this problem, but I was able to mitigate it by adding public DNS servers to my network settings on the iMac. This seemed to speed it up quite a bit, but about a month ago it got slow again all of a sudden. I've searched all over for a solution but the only thing I can find is that the FiOS router is crap and doesn't like Mac's. Which is a garbage answer cause my other Mac's work just fine, just the iMAc doesn't.

One thing I have been able to discover is when I ping the router with the iMac, it is very slow. On a home network i would expect a response in less than 10ms, but with my iMac its usually in the range of 100-200ms. Anyone know what could be causing this all of a sudden?
WRXHokie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:11 PM   #7
golicoke
macrumors newbie

Start From here: my internet very slow speed mac.

Start From here: my internet very slow speed mac.
Slow internt can by because DNS problem OR app ,
Start from Console -> All Messages,
In my case I found a program HideMyIp (hidemyipdaemon {errXXX})
I remove the program and fix the problem!!

Good Luck
golicoke is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac