Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeanw

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
ky.
would buying a server be better than another mini??? I bought this current one back in Nov. Its just hard to get used to after years of a PC.
Just want to keep it in another room
see a used one for sale"Mac Mini 2.53/2X2G/1TB server for $600
so what is the differences. ? Have 3 of flat LCD monitors.....
Thanks
Jean

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Server version has no optical drive. Also it has OSX Server instead of desktop client. Most likely you wouldn't need the server features, but I think that's a good price. It must be the previous generation (2009) because the current server model base processor is 2.66.

applegenius83

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
I had a similar question. So basically I can run all of my Applications and do all of my regular work on a Server?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I had a similar question. So basically I can run all of my Applications and do all of my regular work on a Server?

Correct. One thing to note is that the Mid2010 Mini Servers boot by default into 64-bit mode. For about 95% of applications, this doesn't matter. If you would like to change it to 32-bit mode, follow THESE instructions from Apple.

jeanw

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
ky.
so what does the screen look like ?

I am still not sure what the pros are vs the cons of buying it. What does the opening screen look like? any post a pic ??? so It has lots more memory right?
So if I wanted to use say a Dvd drive etc. I just plug it in to a usb port? etc ?
So it would be a good buy ? Just confused
Thank
Jean

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
The mini and the mini server are very similar other than the superdrive bay being used for a second hdd and a slight bump in processor clock speed. The big difference is with the OS that comes with it. http://www.apple.com/ca/server/macosx/whats-new.html

My thinking is that if you aren't sure what you'd do with a server then it isn't what you need.

jeanw

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
ky.
so explain please

it is nor what I need
it is what could I use a server for??? I am still confused thanks
Jean

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
In your first post you say you bought a Mini in November but are having a hard time getting used to it after years with a PC. So you're thinking of buying a server and that will make things better?

The Mac Mini Server is just a Mini without a DVD drive. It has an extra hard drive in it's place. And it runs Mac OS X Server, which will still run all the regular Mac OS X software, but if you're not looking for a Server, there's no real reason to buy one.

I'm not even sure I understand your statement from your first post. Are you looking for a second Mini for another room, or to replace the Mini you just bought?

Diesel-Benz

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
Install the normal consumer OS and it will be identical to the "normal" mini, but with a hard drive in place of the optical drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.