Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 7, 2011, 05:19 PM   #1
bew
macrumors newbie

iBook Blue Screen issue

Okay. Bare with me.

I realise this is an old, old issue and yes I have read every single web page on the issue and no resetting the PRAM, PMU, verifying the disk, using single user mode, or reinstalling the OS does not fix it. In fact, I have fixed it but want your advice. And yes I did inspect the chip on the motherboard for cracks at the solders on pin 1 etc. And yes I did shim the chip. No change.

So here goes.

iBook 1.42Ghz running 10.5.8 with 1.5Gb RAM.

This machine got the standard stuck at blue screen start up issue and my mate brought a new machine and gave me this one. Most folk on the net believe this is the usual logic board issue. Well, I found one article about the ATI9700.kext file. Booted into Safe Mode removed this file and now the machine boots and runs fine in 10.5.8 BUT it won't play any video files (via finder, VLC, or QT). VLC states "no OpenGL provider") and Quartz Extreme is no longer supported. Probably due to removing ATI9700.kext.

So, I grab the ATI9700.kext files from 10.4.1 as there were many articles saying that 10.4.8 may have caused this issue. Installed these. Didn't work.
Checked and adjusted (under 10.4.1) the windowserve.plist file. Didn't work

My conclusion: It is the graphics chip that is broken yet the screen works without a problem (other than no video file support).

Thus: Is there a work around to allow video file viewing in this situation.

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

One more thing, the machine will not boot from the 10.5 disc at all and I have to install the OS via TDM. Something on the disk (probably ATI9700.kext) jams the machine up
bew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 07:58 PM   #2
adcx64
macrumors 65816

I think you corrupted something when u deleted the kext files.
adcx64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 08:04 PM   #3
adcx64
macrumors 65816

Also, it could be the hard drive...
adcx64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs