Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Is this a worthy upgrade for Lion? I've already got DP2 but don't know how close that is to the actual release of Lion. I was thinking of getting 8GB anyway but don't do anything intensive (except for Windows gaming). It's just Safari, iTunes, Mail, iPhoto, Skype, Twitter, Powerpoint and Word (Not all at the same time obviously). Will 8GB of RAM make a difference?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Take a look at Activity Monitor to see how many page outs do you have. More RAM won't help much unless you can use it.

Malcolm.

macrumors member
May 7, 2011
The Middle
It'll make a slight difference, but given that RAM is so cheap now, there's no reason to have less in 2011. I have 8 GB in my 11" Thinkpad notebook, got it for $59 with a promo code on NewEgg. Go ahead and do it!

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Take a look at Activity Monitor to see how many page outs do you have. More RAM won't help much unless you can use it.

It's a grand total of 0. I'm on the new iMac though so I have 2 free slots and could put 2x2GB in there. It's insanely cheap should I just do it now or wait until it drops even more?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It's a grand total of 0. I'm on the new iMac though so I have 2 free slots and could put 2x2GB in there. It's insanely cheap should I just do it now or wait until it drops even more?

I would just do that. You can get 1x4GB to leave space for future upgrades, if needed.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The proper way to look at page outs is not the totals, but the instantaneous activity with your heaviest workload in a tool like 'top'.

Of course, if your total pageouts are 0 after running your heaviest workload, you don't need to do that. You already know you have more than enough memory.

A bit of instantaneous paging is not a huge deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.