Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 8, 2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Fooj
macrumors member

Office 2011 Deactivation

Hello,

So I am looking to replace my MBP with one of the new shiny imacs. I currently have MS Office 2011 installed and obviously want to move that to the imac.

I want to sell my MBP, how do I deactivate this license or move it to the imac?

Thanks in advance
Fooj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 04:16 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooj View Post
I want to sell my MBP, how do I deactivate this license or move it to the imac?
Uninstall it from your MBP and reinstall it on your iMac. You don't have to do anything with your license.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Fooj
macrumors member

Thanks - for some reason I didn't think it would be that simple!!!!
Fooj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 10:36 PM   #4
makingmusic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Uninstall it from your MBP and reinstall it on your iMac. You don't have to do anything with your license.
Even after using Migration Assistant when I start my Office 2011 products, they are asking for the activation key. Is there a way to move the key from one computer to another
Old May 13, 2011, 10:37 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by makingmusic View Post
Even after using Migration Assistant when I start my Office 2011 products, they are asking for the activation key. Is there a way to move the key from one computer to another
Did you uninstall it from the old computer? You should. Then install on the new one.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:40 PM   #6
makingmusic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Did you uninstall it from the old computer? You should. Then install on the new one.
Can't find an uninstall tool. Only thing to do appears to toss in the trash but how will license be removed from one system so I can authorize/install license on the other?
Old May 13, 2011, 10:41 PM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by makingmusic View Post
Can't find an uninstall tool. Only thing to do appears to toss in the trash but how will license be removed from one system so I can authorize/install license on the other?
The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
Best way to FULLY DELETE a program
Old May 13, 2011, 10:49 PM   #8
makingmusic
macrumors regular

Quote:
The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
Best way to FULLY DELETE a program
Thanks. Will do in the morning!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:24 PM   #9
mixvio
macrumors 6502

Sorry to bump this thread, but I don't think that manual deletion does anything towards deactivating the license. I have to call and speak with a service representative every time, which is highly irritating to say the least. I'd love a way to automatically revoke a license so I can install it on another computer without having to call someone repeatedly.

Asking the service rep about this got a response of "Go to start menu, Add/Remove Programs, then uninstall" and when I replied that that's what you do on Windows, there was thirty seconds of silence before he asked if I needed help with anything else.
mixvio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 05:32 PM   #10
WardC
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to WardC
I am running into the same problem/issue. I had purchased a copy of Office 2011 1-user license from Microsoft's website. They gave me a product code, which I used to activate the software on a Retina MacBook Pro last year. I did a completely wipe/reinstall of the system software, and sold that Retina MacBook Pro. Then, I used the same code to install and activate Office 2011 on an older 2007 iMac. I just purchased a new MacBook Pro, and was hoping to be able to install the software and activate it with the license code, since I deleted from the iMac and the iMac is packed away in storage now. It tells me "Activation was not successful because the maximum number of installations have been used"

Apparently...Microsoft's Office 2011 for Mac Activation system works like this...you are paying for a License key which will allow you to activate the software with Microsoft's online system on *two* different computers, but NO MORE than two. If you have used ANY activations of that code on the past on two different computers, all of your activations are USED UP and the system will not allow you to activate the software on a third different computer, even if the software is uninstalled or not present on the previous two computers.

THERE IS NO WAY TO DEACTIVATE OFFICE 2011 ONCE YOU HAVE ACTIVATED IT.

Once it has been activated on a computer, the activation for that computer is used up....you cannot "de-activate" and free-up the install for another separate machine. Microsoft will not allow it...

This is the frustration I am running into. I have already spent over $500 on Microsoft Office software and currently only running it on two computers. Ridiculous. And I am going to have to buy another license if I want to install it on my new MacBook Pro because all of my other activations are used up on separate machines, which I do not even own anymore - Microsoft records a machine code with your product key for each machine you activate, and has a max number of unique entries allowed per product license, usually 2, 3, or 5.
Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
office 2011 deactivate