Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8, 2011, 11:53 PM   #1
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Question CarbonCover for iPad 2 reviews?

Looking at the different covers, anyone try the
CarbonCover that is sometimes show as ad in MR Forums?

$69 is tad pricey, and $15 for shipping.

Thanks
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 01:27 AM   #2
slaphotk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
+1..Very interested to hear from anyone about this case..
BTW, shipping appears to be less than $15 (at least where I live) from this company

http://store.carbonfibergear.com/ion...r-ipad-2-case#
slaphotk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 02:34 PM   #3
PracticalMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Nobody tried it yet???

__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 04:49 PM   #4
L0ADING
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Nobody tried it yet???

Image
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ht=ion+factory

read post #14
L0ADING is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 03:52 AM   #5
brooka
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Just posted this in the other topic about this cover...


DO NOT GET THIS CASE.......

I got this case delivered the other week and returned it straight away.

Everything was amazing about it, the look, the feel, the on off feature..

BUT

Try and fold the cover into the triangle and stand itinerary portrait mode. Fat chance. It worked about 20% of the time. The other 80% it collapsed from the weight of the case and iPad2.

If you go on ION's Facebook page they say to carefully make sure that the fold is positioned right when in portrait mode. Why the hell would I want to carefully place the cover every single time I want to put it into portrait mode???? I want to use it like the smart cover from apple.... It just works... No thought process, just fold it up and it stands.

Anyway I got a full refund after 6 emails back and forth from them.
If they fix this issue, this would of been the best case yet for iPad 2.

Sorry guys! Hope this helps.
brooka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 10:14 AM   #6
PracticalMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Work alike case:

JOY FACTORY SmartSuit2 Ipad 2 case
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 03:17 PM   #7
LanikaiGirl
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I just received mine today. The person who keeps posting about 'portrait' mode has said the same thing about other cases. I think they mean landscape mode. And in landscape mode, this thing is great. I also have no problems with the magnet when folded back. My only issue is that the cover has a couple of shallow divets in it where it looks like something may have sat on it during shipping. I fully expect those to come out. I REALLY like how it looks with my white iPad too. So now I have this case, a Maroo case, STM skinny, YooBao v2, and a smart cover in cream. I think I am done.

Last edited by LanikaiGirl; May 18, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
LanikaiGirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 03:52 PM   #8
fastangel
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanikaiGirl View Post
So now I have this case, a Maroo case, STM skinny, YooBao v2, and a smart cover in cream. I think I am done.
Which one is your favorite out of all these cases you have?

Also, how does the ion-factory carbon case feel when folded to the back and held in "portrait mode" and I mean "portrait mode" in the correct sense, not like that poster you also mentioned who is just confusing people.

thanks!
fastangel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 09:09 PM   #9
LanikaiGirl
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I think I am liking this one best. I liked my original cream leather smart cover, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean and I didn't like the other colors. I gave the YooBao to a friend to use. I liked how it felt, but I HATE having the bezel covered at all. I returned the STM skinny. I found the green color to be somewhat blah. I am also not a fan of the tuck in tab. I loved how light it was. I am keeping the Maroo, because I think it is perfect for travel. It will really protect the iPad. I also like that it has the skull on it. I am a 40 something suburbanite female. It is my little tongue in cheek rebellion.
For everyday use, I will be using the Ion Factory. It is light, beautiful, and comfortable to hold in portrait mode. It looks so elegant with the white iPad.
LanikaiGirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 12:24 AM   #10
brooka
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
I just received mine today. The person who keeps posting about 'portrait' mode has said the same thing about other cases. I think they mean landscape mode. And in landscape mode, this thing is great. I also have no problems with the magnet when folded back. My only issue is that the cover has a couple of shallow divets in it where it looks like something may have sat on it during shipping. I fully expect those to come out. I REALLY like how it looks with my white iPad too. So now I have this case, a Maroo case, STM skinny, YooBao v2, and a smart cover in cream. I think I am done.
Hey
MY COMPLETE MISTAKE......I meant landscape mode....not sure why my mind kept thinking portrait mode.

Look I've done some major research on a lot of other forums and I'm not the only one who had this problem with the ipad2 case just collapsing when in LANDSCAPE mode. There were actually many people who did.
ION did post on their facebook that you need to CAREFULLY put it in place.
Just that alone means it's a delicate fold that needs support from you to make sure that it will stand up.

Even when I was careful it still fell over. I'm not just making this up to confuse people. Go search on other forums about it and check it out for your self if you want.
On top of that the viewing angle in landscape mode was really far back. So if your in bed and wanting to watch a movie or something. putting the case on a table just seemed stupid. Like you want to sit up just to get a better angle.

Thats why I returned it. Other then those two issues the case was AMAZING...
brooka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 02:18 AM   #11
fastangel
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
still confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooka View Post
Hey
MY COMPLETE MISTAKE......I meant landscape mode....not sure why my mind kept thinking portrait mode.

Look I've done some major research on a lot of other forums and I'm not the only one who had this problem with the ipad2 case just collapsing when in LANDSCAPE mode. There were actually many people who did.
ION did post on their facebook that you need to CAREFULLY put it in place.
Just that alone means it's a delicate fold that needs support from you to make sure that it will stand up.

Even when I was careful it still fell over. I'm not just making this up to confuse people. Go search on other forums about it and check it out for your self if you want.
On top of that the viewing angle in landscape mode was really far back. So if your in bed and wanting to watch a movie or something. putting the case on a table just seemed stupid. Like you want to sit up just to get a better angle.

Thats why I returned it. Other then those two issues the case was AMAZING...
You know, I still don't think "landscape mode" is really the right phrase you're looking for. I don't think it's a matter of portrait/landscape because that's about whether the longer side or shorter side of the iPad is up. Don't you mean more like "typing mode" (near-flat angle) and... the other much steeper angle which I'm not sure what to call ("standing mode"?)?
fastangel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 03:56 AM   #12
LanikaiGirl
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Brooka, I don't doubt your experience, it has just not been mine. I find it very solid when I set it up in typing and standing mode. You just have to make sure the outer edge is tucked in to the crease. If you watch the YouTube video, you'll better get what I mean.
LanikaiGirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 09:05 PM   #13
cheatingbird
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
BTW, free shipping is provided on this website.(US/Canada
http://www.pocomaru.com/products/30-carboncover.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphotk View Post
+1..Very interested to hear from anyone about this case..
BTW, shipping appears to be less than $15 (at least where I live) from this company

http://store.carbonfibergear.com/ion...r-ipad-2-case#
cheatingbird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 12:47 PM   #14
BlindMellon
macrumors 65816
 
BlindMellon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooka View Post
Just posted this in the other topic about this cover...
DO NOT GET THIS CASE......
I got this case delivered the other week and returned it straight away.
Everything was amazing about it, the look, the feel, the on off feature..
BUT
Try and fold the cover into the triangle and stand itinerary portrait mode. Fat chance. It worked about 20% of the time. The other 80% it collapsed from the weight of the case and iPad2.
Sorry guys! Hope this helps.
so you guys are just now figuring out that the "smart cover" is a terrible design for a stand?
__________________
nano, touch, pad, phone
BlindMellon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 02:23 AM   #15
brooka
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Here is another video review I found which actually talks about the issue of the standing LANDSCAPE postion.....this is the exact problem I had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIq-XeHfOoE
brooka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 08:30 PM   #16
fastangel
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Solution found

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooka View Post
Here is another video review I found which actually talks about the issue of the standing LANDSCAPE postion.....this is the exact problem I had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIq-XeHfOoE

The same Youtube reviewer has now found a solution to the issue and now having the iPad stand upright is no problem with this case! See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEGGp...yer_detailpage

Brooka, looks like you returned your CarbonCover too soon...
fastangel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 09:26 PM   #17
brooka
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Yeah I've seen that one as well

Still not convinced though. I mean if it stood like that and thats the fix for it then thats what should be pictured on their website. Not the triangle how the guy in the video was first trying to do it with.

But yeah even with this fix the angle for viewing movies on is stupidly far back....but hey thats just me :P

Anyway, nice fix for what it is. seems to do the job but yeah wish there wouldn't have to be a fix in the first place.
brooka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 11:14 PM   #18
megsandbytes
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
First I've ever heard of this particular iPad case. I like the looks of it, nice design. I agree does seem a bit pricey though.
__________________
Let's Talk Tablets
megsandbytes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 03:52 PM   #19
wrkactjob
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Case stands up well to testing here though, no need for any 'fix'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmo3M...eature=related
wrkactjob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 01:41 PM   #20
fastangel
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
CarbonCover has THAT problem

I have the CarbonCover case and here is my take:

Positives: 1) Good looking, 2) light-weight, 3)covers/protects iPad well

Negatives:

1) It IS true, this case has some difficulty standing up. Some days it has no problem staying in standing mode, some days it just refuses to stand. Apparently it has to do with the tightness of the "leather". So, it is definitely UNRELIABLE.

2) The magnetic switch (auto on/off) works, it doesn't turn it off when folded all the way to the back like some other covers. BUT, like most/all ultra-slim iPad 2 cases, the CarbonCover's magnet WILL switch on and off your iPad 2 when the front cover is made to slide even if just a little. You pick the iPad up, and you hear the switch click. You walk with the iPad in your hand, you hear the iPad turning on and off. You put down your iPad on the table, and you hear the click. It's pretty bad.

Like most other ulta-slim iPad 2 magnetic cases. Those manufacturers haven't figured out how to implement this magnetic switch feature. Consumers need to really let them know that they need to design their cases so that the front cover DOES NOT SLIDE AT ALL WHEN SHUT, like Apple's Smart Cover. That's the only way to avoid the accidental switch on/off problem. Until then, it's really not a good idea to buy ANY of the ultra-slim magnetic cases for the iPad 2 at this time. Personally I've now come to the conclusion that I need to get the SmartCover if I wanted the magnetic switch in a light-weight case (i.e. Smart Cover + back cover).

So, as much as I liked the CarbonCover (the look and feel), I'm returning it.
fastangel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:02 PM   #21
PracticalMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Decided to get the CC over the JOY FACTORY SmartSuit2 case.

Poco Maru site will ship tax and shipping free, so only $69.99.

SS does look good, but the wider open area around speaker and connector is a minus IMHO. With shipping, the price is only $1.60 less then CC, so it was not much difference there.

PS, Ion CC pays MacRumor for advertising, so in a way I support MacRumors!
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: When are iPad Mini retina reviews coming out? eggersj iPad 9 Nov 12, 2013 07:25 PM
iPad: iPad Air Reviews/Comparisons? iMas70 iPad 3 Oct 31, 2013 02:47 PM
All iPads: Ipad 4 significantly better performance than reviews indicate macguy360 iPad 11 Nov 9, 2012 04:50 PM
iPad Mini: iPad mini reviews: screen leaves something to be desired 53x12 iPad 135 Nov 1, 2012 12:51 PM
All iPads: iPad/iPad Mini Reviews? conshok26 iPad 0 Oct 30, 2012 09:04 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC