Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old May 9, 2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Nun
macrumors member

Likelyhood of Apple Store stocking 4gb 13"?

Hey guys,

I plan on picking up a 13" air on my travels to America, does anyone have any idea if stores stock 13" air with 4GB of RAM or will I have to BTO? Also, can you BTO for an in-store pickup?

Thanks
Nun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 08:42 AM   #2
bcaslis
macrumors 68000

It depends on which exact store you visit, but all the stores in my area stock the 13" 4GB 2.13GHz 256GB model. That's the only 4GB 13" model they carry.
Old May 9, 2011, 08:43 AM   #3
iStudentUK
macrumors 65816

Apple sometimes have non-standard Macs in store, but only very popular configurations and not always. I don't think you can pick up a BTO in store. I'd phone them and ask if they have one.

I would say upgrade yourself later, but you can't with the MBA.
Old May 9, 2011, 10:23 AM   #4
onthecouchagain
Banned

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple kept the base configuration at 2 GB RAM. Judging from the iMac refresh, I predict not only will the RAM stay the same, the SSD sizes will as well. SSD prices haven't dropped at all enough.

However, we'll get the bump up in processor, thunderbolt tech, and likely an HD Facetime cam.

I'm hoping for improved battery life too?
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 10:37 AM   #5
The Samurai
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple kept the base configuration at 2 GB RAM. Judging from the iMac refresh, I predict not only will the RAM stay the same, the SSD sizes will as well. SSD prices haven't dropped at all enough.

However, we'll get the bump up in processor, thunderbolt tech, and likely an HD Facetime cam.

I'm hoping for improved battery life too?
We'll most probably see CPU bumps, facetime HD and a boost to the graphics. I doubt we'll even see Thunderbolt seen as how thin the MBA is... and also, they don't have firewire ports on the current gens (even the white macbooks dont have firewire). I think they will push Thunderbolt as a pro feature... hope im wrong though
Old May 9, 2011, 11:10 AM   #6
merkinmuffley
macrumors regular

We've bought two of the 13 inch Air's with 4gb in stores; one in WA and the other in HI. It's not a problem to find them, if you're willing to accept the 256gb SSD.
merkinmuffley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 11:44 AM   #7
RealScience
macrumors member

You might want to post the general area of the U.S. that you visit--the availability is going to vary quite a bit.

(At lease some of my local--SF Bay Area--carry the "Ultimate 13" configuration as that store'ss standard stock item)l
RealScience is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 11:59 AM   #8
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Samurai View Post
We'll most probably see CPU bumps, facetime HD and a boost to the graphics. I doubt we'll even see Thunderbolt seen as how thin the MBA is... and also, they don't have firewire ports on the current gens (even the white macbooks dont have firewire). I think they will push Thunderbolt as a pro feature... hope im wrong though
Size is not a problem seeing as the already existing MDP becomes the TB port.
theSeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 12:03 PM   #9
onthecouchagain
Banned

I'd be incredibly surprised if Apple left out Thunderbolt technology in the Air refresh; I don't believe they'll leave one of their best selling computer lines in the proverbial dust. I think it'll simply replace the Mini Display Port.

I think the two things to look to most are whether Apple offers higher standard SSD and RAM numbers. I would love to see the 13" come standard with 256 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM. I doubt it'll happen though, considering SSD prices haven't dropped significantly. The 4 GB RAM standard could swing either way.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 02:33 PM   #10
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
Post Not everywhere, for sure ....

I was just in the Apple Store in St. Louis, MO a couple days ago and asked about this. I was told they don't have any of the 4GB Airs in stock, whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkinmuffley View Post
We've bought two of the 13 inch Air's with 4gb in stores; one in WA and the other in HI. It's not a problem to find them, if you're willing to accept the 256gb SSD.
kingtj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 12:38 AM   #11
mayhone1
macrumors regular

Best buy also only keeps the base models of Mac computers in stock I wonder why this is...
mayhone1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air