Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Hi, I am planning to upgrade my emac to leopard, do you think it will run well on my configuration?

emac USB 2.0:

1ghz g4
1 gb ram
Ati radeon 9200 graphics, idk if core image is supported on this..
40 gb HD.

Also, do u think it is worth running tiger if core image isn't supported?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
leopard will deliver if you upgrade to 2GB ram (possible because yours is a usb2.0 model with 167mhz bus speed and practically only the downclocked education model of the 1.25 ghz eMac )a bit less performance then on your iBook , the lack of core image is not that noticeable on every day tasks

but if you upgrade to the full 2 GB and leave tiger on that eMac it will start to fly , install TenFourFox browser and your internet experience comes to a new level too

Last edited:

Jake25uk

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
Leopard ran quicker than tiger on my g4 quicksilver, just my personal experience

OrganMusic

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Chicago
I'm typing this on a 450 mhz Cube running 10.5.8. I upgraded the video to some kind of of ATI Radeon; System profiler reports "Core Image - Software; Quartz Extreme - supported"

It's not a bad machine -- I've actually done work in Photoshop Elements and regularly use it for light web surfing (stay away from flash!), iCal and mail.app.

iWork Pages '09 isn't the snappiest thing ever but it's useable.

And I have half the processor you do and only 512 mb ram!

So go for it!

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I'm typing this on a 450 mhz Cube running 10.5.8. I upgraded the video to some kind of of ATI Radeon; System profiler reports "Core Image - Software; Quartz Extreme - supported"

It's not a bad machine -- I've actually done work in Photoshop Elements and regularly use it for light web surfing (stay away from flash!), iCal and mail.app.

iWork Pages '09 isn't the snappiest thing ever but it's useable.

And I have half the processor you do and only 512 mb ram!

So go for it!

I'm not sure how you're making that happen. Leopard on my Cube which is 500MHz and 1.5GB of RAM is pretty rough. And thats with a Radeon 7500 graphics card too.

OrganMusic

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Chicago
I'm not sure how you're making that happen. Leopard on my Cube which is 500MHz and 1.5GB of RAM is pretty rough. And thats with a Radeon 7500 graphics card too.

Don't know if it matters but it's had the hard disk replaced as well. I mean it's certainly not as snappy as any of my intel macs; there is waiting at times -- scrolling is a bit choppy at times, the processor can get bogged down pretty easily -- heck iTunes music playback uses like 25% cpu.

But I only paid about $120 for it about two years ago and it's been quite useful. Plus it looks cool. The only think it can't really do that I wish it could is to play hulu and netflix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.