Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old May 9, 2011, 05:25 PM   #1
IbanezBoy67
macrumors newbie

How to restore jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 and keep unlock/jailbreak

Hey guys, I want to sell my phone to upgrade to the ip4, but I have to restore it and keep the unlock/jailbreak. Right now, I'm running 4.2.1fw on baseband 06.15.00. Any ideas on how to go about doing this? I have some experience with jailbreaking, but I don't want to mess with the baseband. Thanks in advance
IbanezBoy67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 07:34 PM   #2
awadeee
macrumors 68020

You'll have to create custom 4.2.1 firmware using Pwnagetool (Mac) or Snowbreeze (Windows). I believe that there is also new software to do this on Windows but I'm a little hazy on the name. You will shift+restore (option + restore on Mac) and a window will open. Select the custom firmware and it will restore it. You have the option to make the custom firmware pre-jailbroken, so that your phone is already jailbroken right from the get go. You will, however, need to re-install Ultrasn0w but this shouldn't be a big deal.

Old May 9, 2011, 11:37 PM   #3
IbanezBoy67
macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks! Just a couple of quick questions though: will the baseband be okay to unlock after the restore, and how do I activate the phone after I restore?
Old May 10, 2011, 11:38 AM   #4
awadeee
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezBoy67 View Post
Awesome, thanks! Just a couple of quick questions though: will the baseband be okay to unlock after the restore, and how do I activate the phone after I restore?
The baseband will not be affected, it cannot be changed until Apple officially releases an iPhone baseband above 6.15.00, which could take a while...

Custom firmware can be made to be activated upon install, or you could also activate the phone using a SIM from the carrier it's locked to.
Old May 10, 2011, 12:05 PM   #5
rushad0
macrumors newbie

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1147795
rushad0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 08:25 PM   #6
IbanezBoy67
macrumors newbie

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. The link was also kind of useful. So I tried runnning a trial of sorts and seeing what would happen in Sn0wbreeze. I downloaded the firmware file for 4.2.1, but there was some encryption error when I tried to extract it. I was unable to find the .ipsw file anywhere. I'm running Windows 7 right now, if that helps. Also, putting the phone into DFU mode and restoring with fw that already has Cydia wont brick my phone, will it? Also, will I run into any problems since I'm keeping it on 4.2.1 or do I have to upgrade it? Sorry for all the questions.
Old May 11, 2011, 07:16 PM   #7
awadeee
macrumors 68020

The latest version of SB is only compatible with 4.3.1 I believe. and the one before that was 4.2.1. There's not a version that's compatible with all firmwares. Do a search on the internet for Sn0wbreeze 2.2 final or give me your e-mail address and I can send it to you that way.
You can find any firmware you need here. http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

It's almost impossible to legitimately brick an iPhone unless you screw up installing a baseband in which case the phone will become an iPod Touch. You will be able to restore to 4.2.1 because you've jailbroken that firmware before, which means you have "blobs" which allow you to return to that firmware at any time, even without Apple's signing.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:27 PM   #8
IbanezBoy67
macrumors newbie

Aha, but I researched this issue beforehand and downloaded Sn0wbreeze 2.2.1. The problem is that I can't find the firmware file I downloaded, the .ipsw, because it doesn't seem to be present in the folders. It's really weird because when I try to extract the zip file, it runs into some encryption problem. Would maybe restoring to say, 4.3.1, work better?
Old May 14, 2011, 03:34 AM   #9
eastercat
macrumors 68040

Don't use IE; it screws up the d/l. Use a real browser like firefox, chrome, opera or safari.

ETA: if you try to install 4.2.1 now, make sure you're using the blob or you'll encounter errors.
Old May 14, 2011, 01:01 PM   #10
IbanezBoy67
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastercat View Post
Don't use IE; it screws up the d/l. Use a real browser like firefox, chrome, opera or safari.

ETA: if you try to install 4.2.1 now, make sure you're using the blob or you'll encounter errors.
Um, what is the blob?
Old May 15, 2011, 11:35 AM   #11
labman
macrumors 604

if you don't know what a blob is chances are you haven't saved your shsh blobs. which will allow you to install unsigned firmware on a 3gs or I4. if you haven't saved them then you can't install firmware once apple stops signing. you can check cydia and tiny umbrella to see if it's saved. I doubt it if your asking what it is. search check shsh blobs via google for all the info.
Old May 15, 2011, 03:18 PM   #12
IbanezBoy67
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
if you don't know what a blob is chances are you haven't saved your shsh blobs. which will allow you to install unsigned firmware on a 3gs or I4. if you haven't saved them then you can't install firmware once apple stops signing. you can check cydia and tiny umbrella to see if it's saved. I doubt it if your asking what it is. search check shsh blobs via google for all the info.
Thanks for the reply. Well, I bought my phone already jailbroken and unlocked. When I would open up Cydia, along the top it says "SHSH: iOS 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, etc." all the way up to "4.2.1+, 4.3, 4.3.3". Just in case, i did some research and tried using TinyUmbrella. It didn't seem to do anything, so I did further research and downloaded iSHSHit on my phone. I used that and it said blobs saved. Cydia still has the same thing running across the top? Are the blobs saved? Thanks.

P.S I downloaded the fw file using FireFox. Worked great! Thanks eastercat!
Old May 16, 2011, 02:04 AM   #13
eastercat
macrumors 68040

You have to connect your phone and press the save button in TU for it to work. I haven't used anything else, so you'll have to search around for help with the other program.
Old May 19, 2011, 05:32 PM   #14
IbanezBoy67
macrumors newbie

Well, if in Cydia it says, along the top of the top of the screen, "SHSH: iOS 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1+, 4.3, 4.3.3", does it mean SHSH blobs are saved?
Old May 19, 2011, 05:33 PM   #15
MastahRiz
macrumors 6502

That is 100% exactly what it means... I think.
MastahRiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 05:55 PM   #16
IbanezBoy67
macrumors newbie

Thanks, but, um, does anyone know for sure?
Old May 19, 2011, 06:00 PM   #17
MastahRiz
macrumors 6502

That is what it means, sorry that was a bad joke on my part.
MastahRiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 03:11 AM   #18
eastercat
macrumors 68040

D/l tiny umbrella, connect and save shsh. This saves the blobs to your computer.
Start the TU server and open iTunes (if you're installing anything other than 4.3.3).
Proceed as you normally would with custom firmware.

Snowbreeze may require a software loading DFU, like pwnage, before installing the firmware. If it does, you can use redsnow to DFU the phone.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:54 PM   #19
Chips95
macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS

Sorry for posting in the wrong place. I have reposted already. Please remove this post.

Last edited by Chips95; Jun 19, 2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: posted in wrong place, reposted already
Chips95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Tags
3gs, iphone, jailbreak, restore, unlock