Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
LINK

Microsoft Near Deal to Acquire Skype
Software Giant Could Pay Nearly $8 Billion for Company

By ANUPREETA DAS And NICK WINGFIELD
Microsoft Corp. is close to a deal to buy Internet phone company Skype Technologies SA for between $7 billion and $8 billion—the most aggressive move yet by Microsoft to play in the increasingly-converged worlds of communication, information and entertainment.

A deal could be announced as early as Tuesday, people familiar with the matter said, though they cautioned that negotiations aren't yet final and a deal could still fall apart. Including Skype's long-term debt, the total value of the deal is about $8.5 billion.

Representatives for Microsoft and Skype declined to comment.

Buying Skype—a service that connects millions of users around the world via Internet-based telephony and video— would give Microsoft a recognized brand name on the Internet at a time when it is struggling to get more traction in the consumer market.

Microsoft has invested heavily in marketing and improving the technology of its Bing search engine. While it has made some market share gains over the past year, Google Inc. still dominates the search market with more than 65% of U.S. searches going through its site..

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Good riddens. Skype is horrible to use down here, it lags like hell so you can't have a proper conversation with someone. Plus it sucks up our limited internet bandwidth.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
If this happens, so long Skype and hello Vonage. Simple.

Everytime MS puts their claws on something they make it half baked and later toss it into a corner. Skype is good and improving. MS will just try to incorporate it's Live suite into it and bloat it. No, stay away.

I'd rather let Google or someone else (not Apple) have Skype than MS.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I stopped using Skype when version 5 was released. Pile of junk messenger now, which is a shame, it used to be so brilliant.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
I stopped using Skype when version 5 was released. Pile of junk messenger now, which is a shame, it used to be so brilliant.

thats strange because the version4 i was using before 5 is still working after i binned 5....

why stop using it altogether just because the new version sucks....:rolleyes:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'm in no doubt that microsoft will kill the Linux client.

Hopefully microsoft will sort out the UI - the UI used to be in skype 2? 3? ( can't remember what previous version was - it wasn't 4 ) - Skype 5 came along - a complete mess.

Skype is still one of the best free multi-platform video conferencing apps out there.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
why stop using it altogether just because the new version sucks....:rolleyes:

Because it would only be a matter of time before either the old version became incompatible with newer OS's or the Skype protocol was updated, breaking compatibility with the old version.

That, and most of my friends had also moved off Skype as the Windows version is also rather poor according to them.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
The strategy is obvious. Don't be surprised if Skype and Xbox are more often used in the same sentence. They've been marketing Kinect as a practical video conferencing tool. Now with Facebook integrated into it, the next thing you want to do is click..."Skype Friend" and wallah! Your Facebook chat becomes Kinect Vchat!

Practically EVERYONE has at least one TV in thier home. Why not attach yourself to ride that market with movies, social networking, AND telephoning (with video!). Don't forget that M$ has virtually unlimited resourse to make Skyping "better". All it takes is more computing and communications power. Both of which M$ has a large enough wallet to expand...not to mention a global presence. How much you think all those grandma's are gonna pay to see their grandkids on the other side of the continent on their TV with something as easy to use as an XBox? You've gotta be a fool to think there's no market in that.

Last edited:

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
There goes Skype for Mac and Linux.

Maybe at some point they might try to "bundle it" with the OS, but I'm sure regulators are watching them on this. If they integrate a Skyping feature into Windows, would that be an anti-trust issue? Or would it just be a hand slap like IE? I mean it's not really the same here because it's not like bundling skype would outcompete "other" free VC software would it? It just makes Mac and Linux have to develop their own Skype...perhaps without being able to use proprietary features of MS Skype. It's just like how Windows Messenger was bundled for ages, right?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Maybe at some point they might try to "bundle it" with the OS, but I'm sure regulators are watching them on this. If they integrate a Skyping feature into Windows, would that be an anti-trust issue? Or would it just be a hand slap like IE?

Probably neither. No-one seems to care anymore. Apple will be bundling their FaceTime with Lion. Microsoft will be integrating Windows Live with Windows 8. Maybe that includes Skype as well.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
Probably neither. No-one seems to care anymore. Apple will be bundling their FaceTime with Lion. Microsoft will be integrating Windows Live with Windows 8. Maybe that includes Skype as well.

But regulators seem to have a unique hatred of MSFT and will stop at nothing to block any integration of Skype into Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.