Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
So i took the plunge and bought a 1.25 40 GB mini, and i thought i'd*write my initial thoughts on it, but first heres a little about me. I've been a PC user for about 15 years, but the first computer i ever used was a Mac Classic II. Recently i got a job as an IT technician in a college, and i run 22 PCs, and about 20 macs (mixture of white imacs, and old dv's) - from an Xserve.

First things first.. my god is that really how small it is?!
Second - is it on? I cant hear anything.. my word thats quiet..
Third - registration.. took 5 minutes if that.

Then quick change of my monitor resolution, and a run of software update and life is sweet.

I'm still presently using the 256 mb ram, and so far its been fine! I've only used safari and msn messenger, but its perfectly usable. I guess i'll test iPhoto or something later with it, before i install my 512 crucial tomorrow :)

Man its so pretty.. i really wanna just pull out my hd's from my pc and use them with the mac instead :)

btw - i've never really had any problems with PC's.. i've always liked them more as i couldnt afford a mac and i built my own pc's, but i dont believe in saying one is better than the other.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Welcome! Good to see that you're enjoying your new Mac. I still haven't got around to seeing one of these Mac minis in the flesh but I bet they are small. I'm jealous! Well semi, I do have a PowerBook after all!

I got by with the standard 256MB RAM in my PowerBook for 3 months before I added some from Crucial. I was running Final Cut Express projects and other stuff with no problems (now I think you need more just to even run Final Cut Express!) but more RAM certainly helps when you're running lots of programs at the same time.

I've never had too many problems with my PCs either, but Macs are just so much more fun to use! Enjoy your new Mac, and welcome to MacRumors!

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
The Mac Mini is an excellent choice for someone new to Macs, congrats on your purchase. Did you buy the apple keyboard/mouse, or did you supply your own?

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
At present i'm using a £6 USB PC keyboard, which is ok, but i cant figure out which key is alt/commad/cntrl etc :). I'm using my microsoft optical mouse as its probably the best 3 button mouse i've ever used. I got one of the Apple optical white pro mice, and i can say its probably the worst mouse i've used since the old puck mice. Some people swear by them, but i cant use it for longer than 30 mins other wise i get really bad cramp.

I intend to buy the apple white keyboard as i use that at work and its a really nice feeling keyboard. I also really need a kvm switch, as i'm getting sick of unplugging my monitor, and grabbing my wacom mouse by mistake!

Cant wait to sell my pc laptop and get a powerbook when tiger comes out!

BTW - one thing that went easier than i thought it would was seeing my pc's shared files on my mac. that really was easy! not sure how easy it'll be the other way round, but i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

So i reckon i'll leave the 512 in its packaging till i get round to ordering a bigger hd. 30gb after OSX install really isnt enough... especially when i got some nice RAIDed sata drives in my PC!

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Just out of interest, does anybody know what we'll do if we get a CD stuck in the mini? I had to get a CD out of an old iMac with slot loading and that wasnt so bad as i could just use the paperclip to poke the button, but i see no button on the mini optical drive.... how very curious.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
pulsewidth947 said:
Just out of interest, does anybody know what we'll do if we get a CD stuck in the mini? I had to get a CD out of an old iMac with slot loading and that wasnt so bad as i could just use the paperclip to poke the button, but i see no button on the mini optical drive.... how very curious.
i believe there is a button inside the slot. on the right side, if i'm not mistaken.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
I wonder if someone would help me - i'm looking for a program that i know is in 10.2, its a gui keyboard and when you press a button on your physical keyboard it lights up on the gui keyboard.

it would be very handy right now as i cant work out which key on my win keyboard corresponds to mac keyboard!

is it called key caps?

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
pulsewidth947 said:
I wonder if someone would help me - i'm looking for a program that i know is in 10.2, its a gui keyboard and when you press a button on your physical keyboard it lights up on the gui keyboard.

it would be very handy right now as i cant work out which key on my win keyboard corresponds to mac keyboard!

is it called key caps?

I don't know if this works on 10.2 but for 10.3 if you click on the country (locale?) flag in the menu bar, there is an option in the menu that appears called Show Keyboard Viewer.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
devman said:
I don't know if this works on 10.2 but for 10.3 if you click on the country (locale?) flag in the menu bar, there is an option in the menu that appears called Show Keyboard Viewer.

THATS what i'm talking about! Cheers devman.

no wonder my shortcuts werent working.. the alt and cmd keys were switched. WHY I AUGHTA!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.