Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
hey guys, im sharing an apartment with a roommate who uses the wireless internet which i dont mind however, he downloads a lot of stuff. is there anyway i can limit how much he can download on both his windows computer and ipad? i know he downloads a lot of stuff off itunes directly to ipad, and it makes my internet really slow on the mmo i'm playing. any programs i can use to control from my mac?

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
What sort of router do you have? If you have dd-wrt firmware, you can throttle data. Better yet though, you can just give priority to data going to your computer. Then he has full bandwidth - unless you need it. Kinda a win-win.

dreary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
im using my imac as the router through the internet sharing right now... anythign i can do with that?

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
hey guys, im sharing an apartment with a roommate who uses the wireless internet which i dont mind however, he downloads a lot of stuff. is there anyway i can limit how much he can download on both his windows computer and ipad? i know he downloads a lot of stuff off itunes directly to ipad, and it makes my internet really slow on the mmo i'm playing. any programs i can use to control from my mac?

Why are you asking us and not him? If he's reasonable he'll work with you. If he is not, pay for it all yourself and lock it down. But no, instead you come here and ask how to use technology for a solution that could be solved with an adult conversation?
It's easy... go up to him right now and say "Hey Kevin**, you're downloading so much stuff that it's really screwing me up on my mmo. Let's work out a schedule or something."
You'll know the path to follow in about 3 seconds.

** or whatever the ****** his name is.

pismobrat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
WoW.

I love the attitute of some people here!

Some roomates are just moorons and no talking helps.

I'd recommend abandoning your imac as the sharing device. And get your hands on a proper router. IF funds allow.

If you feel comfortable flashing a linksys router to the DDWRT firmware, it isn't hard to pick the basic QOS (Quality of Service) settings to manage your traffic.

If you would like more help, please PM me or post in the forum. Good luck.

As for your roomate. Put a dead fish under his mattress. That should be fun.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I'd vote for a Linksys and DDWRT - that lets you do everything, and its been superior (stability wise) to even the Linksys firmware in my 2 years of using it.

Only other thing I could think of would be to force B mode - in order to cap throughput on the wifi - however that will also impact your devices, too. And if your ISP is less than 11Mb - it really won't do much good.

As for the other party - even if they fully cooperate - there will be times where they may unknowingly rob bandwidth - because the don't know you're playing, or maybe they're unaware their own usage themselves. (software update, paused downloads automatically resuming, ect...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.