Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I want something where I don't have to tell it how to convert it every single time I download; I want to be able to specify a default. Any apps/programs anyone is happy with?? Thanks!

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Not sure about conversions, but I know MacTubes is a good youtube video downloader.

Also, I do know of an extension called download helper if you are using Firefox. You are supposed to be able to set it to convert files automatically when they are downloaded. Haven't tried it for myself yet, but that's what I normally use to download youtube videos.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
sorry; I should have said I was using Chrome.

I'll check out MacTubes; thanks

darren.scott

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Command, Option, A in Safari - find the file (large MB) and double click to download. Quickest and easiest way I've found - then I just use iflicks or handbrake to convert.

jahala

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Command, Option, A in Safari - find the file (large MB) and double click to download. Quickest and easiest way I've found - then I just use iflicks or handbrake to convert.

I do this too. Piece of cake. Occasionally, instead of downloading, the video will play in a window by itself. If that happens, select the whole URL in the new window and drag it to the Safari Downloads window. It will start downloading.

steveoc

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
Not free, but easy to use is CosmoPod. I like it because it not only grabs the file, but it also automatically converts it to mp4 or m4v and delivers it where I want it to go. I download a lot of videos and find that it is worth the modest price because it saves a few steps. It's a Safari plugin.

Otherwise, the activity window technique works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.