Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Dorking, UK
Hi everyone,

I'm a freelance artworker/retoucher/designer who wants to create simple invoices for hourly rate work, with the odd fixed item thrown in for logo design, print jobs, etc.

I moved from manually creating invoices in Illustrator to purchasing MacFreelance when it came out 4 years ago, however, it's always been long-winded, buggy, throwing up loads of user problems and losing everything every now and then. Neither is it intuitive to use, plus probably more features than I need. Version 3 has been a nightmare, with a crazy invoice template editor which can only be altered for personal use if you know html! I don't... it's now lost everything again, the backup I made 15 minutes before is actually corrupt. I've had enough.

I have multiple clients and wish to generate invoices based on itemising work with relevant hours worked on the individual job(s). Being mac-based and easy and intuitive as possible is a must. I don't need in depth accounting software, as all I need is to generate an invoice, print it out and email an invoice in PDF format. Back up would be good too.

I'm looking at 'Billings'. Would this fit the bill? Is there anything new out there that someone can recommend, please?! Thanks.

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Try Invoice2Go. It doesn't have a native Mac app (website says it's in development), but it has iPhone/iPad apps. You can, however run the Windows version in Parrallels. You basically setup your company's invoice on the desktop and you can sync it with the iPhone/iPad apps. It a very easy invoicing solution.

Invoice2Go Website

anthL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Dorking, UK
Try Invoice2Go. It doesn't have a native Mac app (website says it's in development), but it has iPhone/iPad apps. You can, however run the Windows version in Parrallels. You basically setup your company's invoice on the desktop and you can sync it with the iPhone/iPad apps. It a very easy invoicing solution.

Invoice2Go Website

Thanks for the tip, but I'd like a native mac app first, iOS support as a second. I doubt I'd use the facility day to day.

Cheers.

Windowsrefugee

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Microsoft Land
Another option to consider

I was in exactly the same boat. I looked at a number of Windows options and then switched to Mac last Fall and looked at all the Mac options I could find. None were simple enough yet complete enough to satisfy my needs. I looked at lots and lots of iOS apps for my iPhone and eventually found On-core's Time-Master Central (http://www.on-core.com/timemaster/ or check the Apple app store). It is amazing. I found I could do all of my timekeeping very, very easily on my iPhone and then send PDFs of professional-looking invoices directly from my iPhone. It only got better when I got my iPad. It backs up to my Mac but you cannot there is no way to use the program on the Mac. I have talked to the company and they have been incredibly responsive in troubleshooting the one problem that I had and even added a couple of new features at my suggestion. I would suggest you check this out if you have either an iPhone or an iPad. It has transformed my time-tracking and invoicing for the better.

4x4bob

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
I use billings, and it's more than adequate. I don't use many of their features, but I can see the usefulness of the iphone timer.

As far as many clients, I have a handful of clients that I charge different hourly rates, which is handy. Keep trying Billings to see if you like it. Not sure of the alternatives.

anthL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Dorking, UK
I use billings, and it's more than adequate. I don't use many of their features, but I can see the usefulness of the iphone timer.

As far as many clients, I have a handful of clients that I charge different hourly rates, which is handy. Keep trying Billings to see if you like it. Not sure of the alternatives.

Hi, thanks for the response. I've downloaded Billings 3 trial - love it. Got a perfect invoice template set up within an hour, with tweaks for colour matching my logo, set up a custom slip and produced an invoice. It's been developed and polished so much better than MacFreelance, I'd never go back (I wouldn't anyway, they STILL haven't got back to me regarding how to get back my old invoices going back 4 years).

Would recommend it as I'm purchasing after the trial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.