Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I've read the best way to get a dust free environment is run the shower (with the fans, I assume otherwise it will get humid real fast) then apply the screen protector.

Can anyone attest to this? I'm getting Speck ShieldView antiglare in the mail today for iPad 2 and I'd like to have as few dust bubbles as possible. But i'm worried maybe this would cause damage to my device? I guess not if it's only over the short term (the shower running that is).

Thoughts/advice?

gordita

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
I've read the best way to get a dust free environment is run the shower (with the fans, I assume otherwise it will get humid real fast) then apply the screen protector.

Can anyone attest to this? I'm getting Speck ShieldView antiglare in the mail today for iPad 2 and I'd like to have as few dust bubbles as possible. But i'm worried maybe this would cause damage to my device? I guess not if it's only over the short term (the shower running that is).

Thoughts/advice?

damage?
I hope you're not talking about the shower running ON the ipad.....coz that would not be good in the short or long term....

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
You dont want a fan in the bathroom when doing this. You want the place to steam and fog to bring down the dust and lint, adding a fan will be counterinuitive. Dont worry the steam will not damage the ipad nor will it trip any water indicators. Your only letting thehot shower run about 5 minutes and that should be fine.

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
You dont want a fan in the bathroom when doing this. You want the place to steam and fog to bring down the dust and lint, adding a fan will be counterinuitive. Dont worry the steam will not damage the ipad nor will it trip any water indicators. Your only letting thehot shower run about 5 minutes and that should be fine.

I was about to post the same thing. Turning on the fan might disturb dust particles that would otherwise be on the floor from the steam.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
My fan was running but it was a crappy one and a small university bathroom (university housing). Worked great, perfect install. Thanks guys.

cz9h3d

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
I do this all the time with zero dust. The fan pulls the humidity out, it doesn't bring dust in. You can't work in a fog...

moosquared

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
I learnt my lesson. I considered myself to be pretty good at installing those screen protector thing until I installed one on my iPad. Lol.
I tried putting the power support screen protector and ruined it on my first try. Bye bye $35 for nothing. Good thing I ordered 2 pieces.

I suggest watching the icarbon video on how to install it. You'll get better alignment for the home screen and camera. :D

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
Does apple have ipad SP's? I hate installing them and rather have someone at a store do it.

charboiled

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
The shower method is the only way I will put on clear screen protectors.

Another thing that I do is wet my fingers. Seems to help reduce fingerprints on the inside of the protector.

redzapper

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
I recently ruined a couple of screen protectors (good thing they were cheap) but was able to get one on perfectly with the help of a spray bottle. First a fine mist of distilled water over the work area prior to applying to limit dust and static, one over the ipad screen and quickly wiped clean, and one over the screen protector (front and back) with the front and back layers intact.

gigemzach

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Installed my power support perfect using this method. No other way!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I installed my Zagg Glass using the hinge method in the Bathroom while running hot water and did a perfect installation~ :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.