Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old May 11, 2011, 12:05 PM   #1
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040

Install screen protector in bathroom (steam shower)?

I've read the best way to get a dust free environment is run the shower (with the fans, I assume otherwise it will get humid real fast) then apply the screen protector.

Can anyone attest to this? I'm getting Speck ShieldView antiglare in the mail today for iPad 2 and I'd like to have as few dust bubbles as possible. But i'm worried maybe this would cause damage to my device? I guess not if it's only over the short term (the shower running that is).

Thoughts/advice?
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 12:37 PM   #2
gordita
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
I've read the best way to get a dust free environment is run the shower (with the fans, I assume otherwise it will get humid real fast) then apply the screen protector.

Can anyone attest to this? I'm getting Speck ShieldView antiglare in the mail today for iPad 2 and I'd like to have as few dust bubbles as possible. But i'm worried maybe this would cause damage to my device? I guess not if it's only over the short term (the shower running that is).

Thoughts/advice?
damage?
I hope you're not talking about the shower running ON the ipad.....coz that would not be good in the short or long term....
gordita is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 12:37 PM   #3
TwinCitiesJHawk
macrumors regular

the ipad will be fine (outside the shower, NOT IN lol).. post #85 explains how I installed the PS anti-glare

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=#post12362624
TwinCitiesJHawk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 12:48 PM   #4
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040

Yeah obviously not in the shower or on the iPad haha. Thanks.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Pballer110
macrumors 6502

You dont want a fan in the bathroom when doing this. You want the place to steam and fog to bring down the dust and lint, adding a fan will be counterinuitive. Dont worry the steam will not damage the ipad nor will it trip any water indicators. Your only letting thehot shower run about 5 minutes and that should be fine.
Pballer110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 08:13 PM   #6
sotie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pballer110 View Post
You dont want a fan in the bathroom when doing this. You want the place to steam and fog to bring down the dust and lint, adding a fan will be counterinuitive. Dont worry the steam will not damage the ipad nor will it trip any water indicators. Your only letting thehot shower run about 5 minutes and that should be fine.
I was about to post the same thing. Turning on the fan might disturb dust particles that would otherwise be on the floor from the steam.
sotie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 12:31 AM   #7
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040

My fan was running but it was a crappy one and a small university bathroom (university housing). Worked great, perfect install. Thanks guys.
Old May 12, 2011, 04:57 AM   #8
cz9h3d
macrumors member

I do this all the time with zero dust. The fan pulls the humidity out, it doesn't bring dust in. You can't work in a fog...
cz9h3d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 05:19 AM   #9
moosquared
macrumors regular

I learnt my lesson. I considered myself to be pretty good at installing those screen protector thing until I installed one on my iPad. Lol.
I tried putting the power support screen protector and ruined it on my first try. Bye bye $35 for nothing. Good thing I ordered 2 pieces.

I suggest watching the icarbon video on how to install it. You'll get better alignment for the home screen and camera.
Old May 12, 2011, 09:24 AM   #10
jps1012
macrumors 6502a

Does apple have ipad SP's? I hate installing them and rather have someone at a store do it.
jps1012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 10:32 AM   #11
sotie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
Does apple have ipad SP's? I hate installing them and rather have someone at a store do it.
Apple stores do not sell screen protectors for ipad.
sotie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 12:35 PM   #12
charboiled
macrumors newbie

The shower method is the only way I will put on clear screen protectors.

Another thing that I do is wet my fingers. Seems to help reduce fingerprints on the inside of the protector.
charboiled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 02:29 PM   #13
redzapper
macrumors member

I recently ruined a couple of screen protectors (good thing they were cheap) but was able to get one on perfectly with the help of a spray bottle. First a fine mist of distilled water over the work area prior to applying to limit dust and static, one over the ipad screen and quickly wiped clean, and one over the screen protector (front and back) with the front and back layers intact.
redzapper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 02:38 PM   #14
gigemzach
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Installed my power support perfect using this method. No other way!
gigemzach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:22 AM   #15
mypartyproducti
macrumors newbie

good luck

www.esteamshower.com - largest steam shower seller in usa
mypartyproducti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2014, 02:25 AM   #16
stevenjames
macrumors newbie

The screen protectors of glass are a good idea. They will not only keep the rest of the bathroom floor dry but will also enable a spacious and sleek look in your bathroom. You can contact the ones like the Modern Glass Designs for more information. Visit them at www.modernglassdesigns.com.
stevenjames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2014, 08:27 PM   #17
Nhwhazup
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjames View Post
The screen protectors of glass are a good idea. They will not only keep the rest of the bathroom floor dry but will also enable a spacious and sleek look in your bathroom. You can contact the ones like the Modern Glass Designs for more information. Visit them at www.modernglassdesigns.com.
Too funny!
Nhwhazup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2014, 03:29 PM   #18
Shadowbech
macrumors 6502a

I installed my Zagg Glass using the hinge method in the Bathroom while running hot water and did a perfect installation~

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories