Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
What are your opinions for best setup to stand up iPad 2 and physical keyboard, be it all in onE case or two different pieces of hardware. Zaggmate worries me because of no back protection. Would use this almost every day for typing quite a bit.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There's been one or two threads about Zaggmate, which would be definately worth a look.

The Incase Origami Workstation would be worth a look - basically, it's a protective case for the Apple wireless keyboard, which doubles as a stand for the iPad. Here's a head-to-head of both - http://www.imedicalapps.com/2011/05/ipad-2-keyboard-case-review-zagg-origami-workstation/

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
I'm glad you posted this. I need someone to talk me down from getting a keyboard.

I want one but I don't need it. What is really funny is that I know I don't need it. I always wonder why get an expensive ipad then if you want a keyboard...just get a netbook. But then I catch myself looking at the Apple ipad keyboard. grrr.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
I like the iPad touchscreen a lot (and the one on IA Writer app even more so) - I find it easy to use and able to type at a decent speed. However, if I'm away from home and going to be typing for extended periods, then an external is the way to go.

Re: netbooks. Well, firstly the iPad gives me a different experience to a netbook and with more than a few apps I like (e.g. Moot Filtatron) afford me greater creative opportunities. Also, and very importantly, I find netbook keyboards to be on the cramped side (however, I like Samsung NC series as they tend to be larger than most) and find it hard to touch type.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.