Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Hey guys, I went into the Apple shop today and looked at the new white iPhone 4 While looking at the phone I realised the camera was A LOT better than mine.

After 10 seconds of investigation I realised that the housing (camera lens) on my phone was heavily scratched even though the rest of the phone has no scratches at all.

I look after my phone very well, never drooped it, so I was rather surprised to find so many scratches on my phone.

I came to the conclusion that the reason why its scratched is that the camera housing slightly elevated from the back of the phone so every time I place my phone on the table or something like that the lens get scratched.

So the question is the phone is under the warranty will it be replaced free of charge or if not how much will it cost?

Bellow are a few images of the damage

touse.png

Picture of the phone, not embedded as it made the page massive :0
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1343/p5110028.jpg

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It looks like the lens on the camera is raised up higher than the back of the phone. Is that really the case?

If so, point that out to the Apple tech and tell him it's a menufacturing default. There was another thread about lens scratches and one or two other people had that issue but no one else did.

It's not how it's supposed to be and if you can honestly show that the lens protrudes then you have a real complaint.

iAmYou

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
There is no need to replace the whole phone just the back.
At most if not a manufacturing defect it's $29

Last edited:

obom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
They ended to replace the whole phone just the back.
At most if not a manufacturing defect it's $29

Thats good wouldn't want the whole phone replaced
I am in the UK so I guess that's around £20 - £25
The price is a bit steep but the again its :apple:

The scratches do look bad, how old is the phone by the way

I am a proud release date owner (;

obom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
It looks like the lens on the camera is raised up higher than the back of the phone. Is that really the case?

If so, point that out to the Apple tech and tell him it's a menufacturing default. There was another thread about lens scratches and one or two other people had that issue but no one else did.

It's not how it's supposed to be and if you can honestly show that the lens protrudes then you have a real complaint.

Thanks for the tip, I shall point that out to the Genius.
Made an appointment for tomorrow, hope I don't have to pay.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
They probably will replace it for free once you tell them how it's slightly raised. You're better off getting just the back replaced and not the entire phone because of the yellow screen of death problem with the replacements apparently.

italeki

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2010
Aren't all 4s slightly raised at the lens? My new white one is. Can others here confirm theirs?

TheE3Guy

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
How can you own an iPhone 4 and not have a case for it? Sounds more like arrogant ownership to me.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
I think its arrogant to imply that you must have a case.

I agree. Many individuals simply like the look of the "naked" phone, especially the antenna band. I used a simple spectra wrap for about six months

I look after my phone very well, never drooped it, so I was rather surprised to find so many scratches on my phone.

I came to the conclusion that the reason why its scratched is that the camera housing slightly elevated from the back of the phone so every time I place my phone on the table or something like that the lens get scratched.

So the question is the phone is under the warranty will it be replaced free of charge or if not how much will it cost?

I expect that the Genius would replace your phone free of charge. Simply explain why you believe so and I'm sure they'll agree with you.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I can't believe that people would place it flat on it's back with no protection at all. Just don't get it. :confused:

TheE3Guy

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
I think its arrogant to imply that you must have a case.

I think it's arrogant for OP to think it should be replaced. It's not a "design flaw" in the phone, it's called normal wear and tear. If people like the look of the phone without a case then great, deal with the damage being done to your phone, that's the trade off for being negligent and not having a case. Why do you think they make devices to protect your phone? If every Joe Schmo who got a scratch on their phone could get it replaced for free nobody would buy a case.

MotleyGrrl

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Chicago, IL
There is something definitely wrong with the way that lens is placed. I have had mine since day 1. The most protective case I have used is a bumper - and I carry the phone every day in my purse that's fully loaded with keys and pens - I do not have one scratch on my camera lens. I actually don't even have a scratch on my phone period. I see no reason why this shouldn't be replaced.

PaulyD

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
UK
I think most people are missing the point that the lens itself is raised higher than the back so this is why its getting scratched and the back is not

On my iPhone 4 the camera is slightly recessed so it doesn't do this.

I feel Apple should replace it for him due to this as its not how it should have been manufactured.

Worst case is buying a new back for it

obom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
I think it's arrogant for OP to think it should be replaced. It's not a "design flaw" in the phone, it's called normal wear and tear. If people like the look of the phone without a case then great, deal with the damage being done to your phone, that's the trade off for being negligent and not having a case. Why do you think they make devices to protect your phone? If every Joe Schmo who got a scratch on their phone could get it replaced for free nobody would buy a case.

If you look at my original post I never stated that iPhone 4s had a design flaw.
All I said is that the camera housing on mine seemed to be slightly raised unlike other iPhone 4s.
I never said Apple should replace it, the whole point of this thread was asking the community on their views on my issue, in which you did nothing to contribute to.
I don't have a case as I like the design of the iPhone and I like it how it looks without a case and I don't mind a few scratches here and there.
I just decided to take it back to the Apple shop as its the closest certified place that fixes iPhones in my area and the cosmetic damage was effecting the hardware.
Dont go calling people that don't have cases negligent as for one its not very civilised.
Believe it or not some people that own iPhone 4s are in a fortunate position to afford to pay for the damage on the worst case scenario.

obom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Thanks for the advice everyone
Went to the Apple Store today and the Genius agreed with me that the camera lens was sticking out a bit.
He replaced free of charge :)

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I think theres about 50/50 chance that they'll replace it. It kinda depends on who you get to assist you at the Apple store. If you get a nice, chill, genius then most likely they'll fix it, but if you get some prick, they probably wont. Only one way to find out :) But luckily for you, most Apple reps are super nice, so chances are they will replace the lens for you

Hans Brix

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
My lens is very scratched, too. But so is the back glass. :D I think I'll but the $29 back plate from iFixit.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Thanks for the advice everyone
Went to the Apple Store today and the Genius agreed with me that the camera lens was sticking out a bit.
He replaced free of charge :)

Good to hear. Did he replace the back or the entire thing?

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
The lens on my 4 is slightly recessed as well. When did you get yours? I ordered mine in mid July and got it early August(they were still the bee's knees) so maybe they is a difference in manufacturing.

obom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Good to hear. Did he replace the back or the entire thing?

He only replaced the back of it, I have no scratches on the front so the phone looks as good as new.

The lens on my 4 is slightly recessed as well. When did you get yours? I ordered mine in mid July and got it early August(they were still the bee's knees) so maybe they is a difference in manufacturing.

My one is a pretty old one as I got when it was released.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.