Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 12, 2011, 03:25 PM   #301
saxon48
macrumors 6502a

They'd better not pull this malarky with the MBP line...

http://www.last.fm/user/saxon48
saxon48 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:25 PM   #302
Macboy Pro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclaptop View Post
apple is so full of themselves it's just stupid. They are acting like a cult camp run by a dictator, who is now more out of control than ever. It's painful to watch when you are a very ardent apple fan. Lately, it seems like everyday there is news from apple that is negative and self centered to the extreme.
exactly!
Macboy Pro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:26 PM   #303
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

ROFL. That is one messed up things to do. Let the Apple Fan club fun begin. Go!
Old May 12, 2011, 03:27 PM   #304
Maven1975
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by quizdogg View Post
I wasn't going to rub it in but... my AAPL shares will go up. Trust me, apple cares more about my opinion, and other investors like myself, than it does about the tear-down tech junkies.

When I read this rumor site I do it purely to get an early jump on apple decisions, but in doing so i have learned something. Most of you guys actually think that huge businesses care about these little geek wars, don't you?

Do you know why OSX is incorporating more iOS features? Because even computer illiterate grandmothers can use it. People who can actually understand application builds, and program code are so far off apples radar it not even funny.

If you like the products, thats awesome, but don't think that apple is going to change a single thing because you whine about it. Apple used to be more friendly to the niche consumer because they were failing, and couldn't afford to lose a single customer... as you can see. that is no longer the case.
And that thinking is what put MS where they are today. No? Perhaps there is a long change in the wind.
Maven1975 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:28 PM   #305
oldwatery
macrumors 6502a

Well OK then.
When my 6 month old iMac croaks I guess it will be hello Windows for the first time in my life. Actually my HD is making more noise than my coffee machine right now so before my warranty expires i guess I will risk it and get one of their geniuses to instal a new one. God help me!
Apple are pushing the limits lately and I for one am over their strong arm tactics....which get worse every day.
This WILL bite them down the road.
Like any Tyrannical Empire or Big Brother regime...they are destined to fall eventually when the common people revolt.
Yeh I know....I'm revolting
Old May 12, 2011, 03:28 PM   #306
Repo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBURT0Nxx View Post
one would think they are smart enough to have figured out if it was using different connectors and the like. It's not like this is their first teardown.
I agree iFixit knows what they're doing, and if they noticed a different connector, it would most likely prompt further investigation. It's odd they didn't mention anything.
Repo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:29 PM   #307
mack pro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maven1975 View Post
Microsoft makes software, vendors give you the option of what hardware you want to run it on.

Apple is not using any special hard drive here. Its a regular old drive with a proprietary port and thermal monitoring.

OSX is the stepchild at Apple now. iOS has completely raped the development of OSX. Any longtime Mac user knows that.

What the point of sexy hardware if you have to blow and beg only Apple to fix it? I mean come on, really? Just the ram is upgradeable now? Apple wants to sell sealed, disposable products. You are good to buy them because they are trendy and in your mind fashionable.
Sarcasm owns you

The way I see it you're paying $2000 for an underpowered computer (for $2000) anyways. What's another couple hundred for a hdd? Taking apart an imac is just asking for trouble with dust. Anybody who pays $2000 for an imac probably isn't smart enough to replace a hdd anyway. Apple is just trying to save you people from yourselves you should be happy.

Last edited by dejo; May 12, 2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Quoted post edited.
mack pro is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:29 PM   #308
oldwatery
macrumors 6502a

BTW Arn...this post is a good reason why I miss the old like/dislike buttons on the homepage. Would love to see that stat right now!
Old May 12, 2011, 03:32 PM   #309
maxinc
macrumors regular

I can't see why OCW is creating mass panic without proper testing. This will hurt their reputation for sure.

There are people who replaced their HDD and the AHT passed successfully, no speeding fans and all this bull.

Apple is not readin the temp via the fancy 7 wire connector as many have proven this way before the lame OCW report.
maxinc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:33 PM   #310
oldwatery
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclaptop View Post
Apple is so full of themselves it's just stupid. They are acting like a cult camp run by a dictator, who is now more out of control than ever. It's painful to watch when you are a very ardent Apple fan. Lately, it seems like everyday there is news from Apple that is negative and self centered to the extreme.

I hate to say this, but it's like they are purposely building an Evil Empire

(I can hear the retorts now from iFans as they bash Google and MS, as though that will show how smart they are)
Could not have said it better myself.
They are completely out of control and getting worse every day.
SJ really does believe all the hype about himself and his Company.
Nothing lasts forever!
Old May 12, 2011, 03:33 PM   #311
palebluesatire
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to palebluesatire Send a message via MSN to palebluesatire Send a message via Skype™ to palebluesatire
I think it's great that Apple is doing this. People are tampering with their Macs and their problems ruin Apple's good name. Macs should stay the way they are and should not be upgraded except for the RAM maybe. If you want to customise your computer and upgrade it when the time comes, get a PC. Getting a Mac ensures a safe and static experience.
palebluesatire is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:34 PM   #312
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

This story conflicts with reports of successful drive upgrades. MR member peregrines did one with no fan issues.
Old May 12, 2011, 03:34 PM   #313
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

I love all of the "sky is falling" from Apple fans these days especially the OSX equals iOS regime.

Its pretty funny.

I use Apple because I like their products. OS X is still OS X and it isn't going anywhere not matter what chicken little says.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:34 PM   #314
xxBURT0Nxx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo View Post
I agree iFixit knows what they're doing, and if they noticed a different connector, it would most likely prompt further investigation. It's odd they didn't mention anything.
yep and recent experiences with owc have me a bit weary about this story... if at least someone else would come out and confirm it... we don't have any iMac customers who have tried replacing their drives yet?

I just can't imagine OWC were the first people to try to pop a different drive into the iMac. Guess we will find out soon enough, until then i'm reserving my stance on this issue.
xxBURT0Nxx is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:35 PM   #315
komrade008
macrumors newbie

iMac has always been a pretty much closed system. You *KNOW* that going into it. When ur HD goes kaputskov u go to teh Apple Store and they put in a new one. Oh noes, teh dreaded Apple Store! lol... c'mon ppl
komrade008 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:35 PM   #316
backinblack875
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to backinblack875
like 95% of people with an imac wouldnt even change HDs anyways...much less notice it in the first place
Old May 12, 2011, 03:35 PM   #317
maxinc
macrumors regular

I too replaced the 7 wire connector with a plain 4 wire SATA power splitter and AHT passed without problems with no speeding fans.
maxinc is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:37 PM   #318
xxBURT0Nxx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxinc View Post
I can't see why OCW is creating mass panic without proper testing. This will hurt their reputation for sure.

There are people who replaced their HDD and the AHT passed successfully, no speeding fans and all this bull.

Apple is not readin the temp via the fancy 7 wire connector as many have proven this way before the lame OCW report.
ahh thank you... i knew OWC couldn't be the first to try to throw a new drive in the iMac. Also thought it was weird that nobody else mentioned this (even ifixit claimed the drives were easy to replace).

Another scar in OWC's image... they have certainly been demoted to the bottom of my tech list after the shenanigans they pull with ssd's and now this!
xxBURT0Nxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:37 PM   #319
amusiccale
macrumors 6502

Possible Workaround: Does anyone know how credible the reports of successfully attaching a DVD-drive temperature sensor while replacing the hard drive* in the previous i3/5/7 iMac are? Please explain if I'm wrong, but in theory, there could be an iFixit kit that would separate the 7-pin into your regular SATA connector and a connector to fit onto a spare temperature sensor that would restore normal fan operation.

*I think that on the previous generation of iMacs, one would need to use the same brand of drive to ensure that proper temperature sensing data would be routed to the computer. Otherwise, the same kind of out-of-control fan behavior would be an issue.
Old May 12, 2011, 03:39 PM   #320
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwatz0n View Post
Your comment was accurate in the beginning, but then you brought up Android for no reason. You brought up a mobile operating system in a desktop HARDWARE thread. Why? For a useless, inaccurate comparison?

Android is an open-source operating system. One of the Android project leads even said so two days ago at Google I/O. More to the point, what are you referring to? Do you mean to say that phones cannot upgrade to the latest version of the OS? Blame it on the OEMs who don't send out the updates due to the massive customization they've done to it. Do you mean that some carriers block the side-loading of applications? Blame it on the carriers.

But please, for the love of God, please don't bring up Android/iOS flame-bait in a topic about iMac hard drive upgrades, it just makes you look silly.
Though most of your argument is correct what your saying, your also stating that Google is blameless since once they hand over control of the OS to the carrier and makers. Then they should not say its an open system from just their point. Now if you tell me I can download the OS from Google and circumvent what the manufacture or carrier have done then its an open system.

Its easy to say we made an open system but its everyone else fault that its not open any more. Does not hold water in my book as a true open OS but I guess it does in yours. Either way I could care less, like all things we have now a days they are in one way or another changed at the whim of the company whether you like it or not.

Lets see how many more years Google keeps telling it self Android OS is open any bets?
Old May 12, 2011, 03:40 PM   #321
xxBURT0Nxx
Banned

This article just needs to be deleted... bunch of bogus!

At least edit it because people are ripping apart (for good reason, if it were true) but this is FALSE information.

I knew to expect that coming from OWC...
xxBURT0Nxx is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:41 PM   #322
FuNGi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post
I honestly question whether profit would be enough of a motive in itself. How many people actually take apart iMacs to install new hard drives? Not enough IMO to actually motivate anyone to conceive and implement such a change, for the sole purpose of locking out user replacements.

I think the change was for technical reasons, as hinted at in the original story:

Now I'm sure Apple could do it other ways, but they're not going to go out of their way to make iMac HD's user-replaceable, since so few people do it anyway.

I would be surprised (and disappointed) if Apple does something similar with their notebooks, which have a user-accessible HD bay. I think in a mobile notebooks HD failure is perhaps more common, so locking out user replacements would be a worse PR move. We'll see.
Exactly, everyone moaning on here is just a small subset of the population that might even try to change their HDD's. I would bet that half the people posting on this thread would never change their iMac's HDD - they just want the option to be easy if they were to .

Odds are in 2 months suitable replacements will be on the market making this whole discussion a complete waste of time.
Old May 12, 2011, 03:43 PM   #323
Repo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBURT0Nxx View Post
This article just needs to be deleted... bunch of bogus!
13 pages and we've come full circle, lol.

Maybe add an update regarding OWC's credibility.
Repo is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:43 PM   #324
mack pro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by palebluesatire View Post
I think it's great that Apple is doing this. People are tampering with their Macs and their problems ruin Apple's good name. Macs should stay the way they are and should not be upgraded except for the RAM maybe. If you want to customise your computer and upgrade it when the time comes, get a PC. Getting a Mac ensures a safe and static experience.
Your a funny guy
mack pro is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:43 PM   #325
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maven1975 View Post
Microsoft makes software, vendors give you the option of what hardware you want to run it on.

Apple is not using any special hard drive here. Its a regular old drive with a proprietary port and thermal monitoring.

OSX is the stepchild at Apple now. iOS has completely raped the development of OSX. Any longtime Mac user knows that.

What the point of sexy hardware if you have to blow and beg only Apple to fix it? I mean come on, really? Just the ram is upgradeable now? Apple wants to sell sealed, disposable products. You are good to buy them because they are trendy and in your mind fashionable.
ROFL sad to think that the future of hardware at least on apples side may become so locked up there will really be little you can do for your self.

Still I say 90 perfect of people will care not; just like they don't care about upgrades for their cars. Just as long as it runs they move on with their little lives.

Last edited by dejo; May 12, 2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Quoted post edited.
kiljoy616 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion