Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:04 AM   #1
lfielder06

Any way to fix the latch on my 12" powerbook?

Ok well I did a little searching and found a thread that said that the only way to fix it is to replace the dislpay which is like $900 bucks. The only thing that is wrong with it is the little piece of metal that holds the lid closed is missing. I am currently using a rubber band to hold it closed, but I have some ideas on how to fix it. I am wondering if anyone else has any ideas. I plan on taking it in to compusa to see how much it would cost to get fixed, but I am sure they will just say that I must replace the entire lcd. If anone has any experience with this problem let me know. Thanks!!
lfielder06 is offline   0
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:21 AM   #2
alexprice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfielder06
Ok well I did a little searching and found a thread that said that the only way to fix it is to replace the dislpay which is like $900 bucks. The only thing that is wrong with it is the little piece of metal that holds the lid closed is missing. I am currently using a rubber band to hold it closed, but I have some ideas on how to fix it. I am wondering if anyone else has any ideas. I plan on taking it in to compusa to see how much it would cost to get fixed, but I am sure they will just say that I must replace the entire lcd. If anone has any experience with this problem let me know. Thanks!!
You need a new bottom case. At the AASP I work for I would charge about 75 for labour and about 110 for the parts.

Can you take a photo of where its broke, it could be that you may be able to adjust the catch to make it work. Hope this helps

Alex
alexprice is offline   0
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:24 AM   #3
lfielder06

no the latch is right above the lcd, the bottom is fine.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:34 AM   #4
alexprice
macrumors 6502a

Then I would say that you need a new display bezel (around 45 pounds with 50 labour). Is the hook just stuck by any chance inside the little hole?
alexprice is offline   0
Old Mar 13, 2005, 04:05 PM   #5
lfielder06

The small metal piece is missing. I think what I will end up doing is super gluing a little piece of metal so that it will close. It will stick out little but I think it will work.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 07:07 PM   #6
lfielder06

Problem sovled!!!! Cost= 0$ I used a paper clip. I bent it in such a way that it acts just like the original latch. The only difference is it is always out, but it is very sturdy. Not sure if i got lucky or what but o well. Very excited about fixing it due to the fact that i got this for around $650 since the latch was broken.

Last edited by lfielder06; Mar 13, 2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 08:04 PM   #7
Monk Edsel
macrumors regular

Wow, what a steal. A shame about the latch but what a bargain.
Monk Edsel is offline   0
Old Mar 13, 2005, 08:35 PM   #8
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

I just had my latch fixed on my ibook. I have applecare, so it didn't cost me a thing, but here is the bill:

$100 Labor Charge, iBook
$180 Flat Rate Repair Charge, iBook
-------
$280 Total
grapes911 is offline   0
Old Mar 13, 2005, 09:55 PM   #9
killuminati
macrumors 68020

I had a similiar problem with my display not closing. The apple guy told me that I would have to replace the whole lcd which would cost $1500 canadian. I might as well have bought a whole new computer!

I ended up finding this guy who said he would be able to fix the problem for me for only $300. It doesn't work perfectlly now (once in a while it will pop open (and simetimes even in the case)), but it's better than having to spend $1500.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers