Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lfielder06

Original poster
Dec 5, 2004
Ok well I did a little searching and found a thread that said that the only way to fix it is to replace the dislpay which is like $900 bucks. The only thing that is wrong with it is the little piece of metal that holds the lid closed is missing. I am currently using a rubber band to hold it closed, but I have some ideas on how to fix it. I am wondering if anyone else has any ideas. I plan on taking it in to compusa to see how much it would cost to get fixed, but I am sure they will just say that I must replace the entire lcd. If anone has any experience with this problem let me know. Thanks!!

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
lfielder06 said:
Ok well I did a little searching and found a thread that said that the only way to fix it is to replace the dislpay which is like $900 bucks. The only thing that is wrong with it is the little piece of metal that holds the lid closed is missing. I am currently using a rubber band to hold it closed, but I have some ideas on how to fix it. I am wondering if anyone else has any ideas. I plan on taking it in to compusa to see how much it would cost to get fixed, but I am sure they will just say that I must replace the entire lcd. If anone has any experience with this problem let me know. Thanks!!

You need a new bottom case. At the AASP I work for I would charge about £75 for labour and about £110 for the parts.

Can you take a photo of where its broke, it could be that you may be able to adjust the catch to make it work. Hope this helps

Alex

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Then I would say that you need a new display bezel (around £45 pounds with £50 labour). Is the hook just stuck by any chance inside the little hole?

lfielder06

Original poster
Dec 5, 2004
The small metal piece is missing. I think what I will end up doing is super gluing a little piece of metal so that it will close. It will stick out little but I think it will work.

lfielder06

Original poster
Dec 5, 2004
Problem sovled!!!! Cost= 0$ I used a paper clip. I bent it in such a way that it acts just like the original latch. The only difference is it is always out, but it is very sturdy. Not sure if i got lucky or what but o well. Very excited about fixing it due to the fact that i got this for around $650 since the latch was broken.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I just had my latch fixed on my ibook. I have applecare, so it didn't cost me a thing, but here is the bill:

$100 Labor Charge, iBook
$180 Flat Rate Repair Charge, iBook
-------
$280 Total

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I had a similiar problem with my display not closing. The apple guy told me that I would have to replace the whole lcd which would cost $1500 canadian. I might as well have bought a whole new computer!

I ended up finding this guy who said he would be able to fix the problem for me for only $300. It doesn't work perfectlly now (once in a while it will pop open (and simetimes even in the case)), but it's better than having to spend $1500.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.