Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
i want to take a screenshot of one of the movies i purchased from itunes, i know there copyright protected and that is why i cant from the normal grab or command-shift-4. but is there any way that you know of?

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
You could use iChat screen sharing or another "remote desktop"-type program to view your computer from another computer, then take a screenshot there.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
that is a good idea, however ill need a good connection so as to not reduce too much of the quality. thanks if there are more ideas keep um coming.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
just a screenshot, i said screenshot lol.
I think the question about movie-vs.-frame came up because of your comment about reducing too much of the quality. Remote screen viewers should capture an exact pixel-by-pixel view of your screen. You would pause the movie, view the screen remotely, and capture it exactly as if you'd been on the target computer.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I think the question about movie-vs.-frame came up because of your comment about reducing too much of the quality. Remote screen viewers should capture an exact pixel-by-pixel view of your screen. You would pause the movie, view the screen remotely, and capture it exactly as if you'd been on the target computer.

that is great ill do it with log me in thanks for the help :D

ericDylan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Am I the only one that is able to take a screenshot of a paused movie on iTunes? I just did it and it is a pixel by pixel picture of the movie. It was fullscreen and everything.

Did you do cmd+shift+4 then space and then click? That is exactly how I did it and it worked.

edit: just kidding :). The one I tried was a downloaded digital copy of Harry Potter that came with the DVD. I tried one from iTunes and it was blank. Nvrmnd

iynque

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2006
Sorry to revive this thread, but…

The problem is not just "How do I take a screenshot?"

When you take a screenshot of a normal video playing in iTunes or Quicktime, you get a normal screenshot:
Screen%20Shot%202013-05-17%20at%204.50.25%20PM.png

When you take a screenshot of a protected video file purchased from the iTunes Store, you get a screenshot with the video viewport "blanked out" and replaced by a checkerboard pattern (like you might see representing alpha transparency in Photoshop—"nothing's there"):
Screen%20Shot%202013-05-17%20at%204.50.36%20PM.png

Purchased and protected files can only be played in iTunes or Quicktime, and you can't take screenshots (at least not by normal means). I think this is to prevent screen-recorders from making unprotected copies of the video, but it also prevents single-frame screen caps.

I also can't get a cap using screen sharing and another device; the video image isn't sent along with the rest of the screen. Clever Apple… This is the iTeleport app on my iPhone:
IMG_4621.PNG

I have figured out that you can play the video on an iOS device and do a screen cap on that device (Press on/off & home at the same time), but it's a pain to have to send the video over to the device, find the frame again, capture it, and then get the image back over to my Mac.

There must be some way to take screenshots that doesn't use Apple's built-in method, which won't capture protected video. Are there any third-party screen capture apps that will grab the actual screen output, and not the censored Apple-approved blanked-out video? Just FYI, Skitch and Monosnap don't work.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
use your iPhone /ipad /ipod to take screen shots by pressing home and power a the same time ! problem solved!

see if you can record 30 to 1 minute of video using quicktime on yosemite and iOS 8 running on iPhone / iPod/ iPad and thumb your nose at apple

i was able to record ' wwe wrestling ' using quicktime, but i get locked out of trying to do the same thing with netflix

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.