Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

bungie-aerospace2-500x280.jpg

TouchArcade and GameInformer note that acclaimed game developer Bungie has started work on a mobile game under the company Bungie Aerospace. The new company was started by Bungie and has filed a trademark for "Crimson" which is described as:
"Computer game software downloadable from a global computer network; Computer game software for use on mobile and cellular phones; Downloadable computer game software via a global computer network and wireless devices.
Gamespot points out that Bungie writer and designer Joseph Staten teased of the new project at GDC 2010: "Wouldn't it be great if we could make a world that was always there for you, with lots of stories to tell, like a big, infinite storytelling horizon? Man, that would be great."

Bungie was originally a Mac developer and responsible for first person shooter Marathon. Bungie, of course, was later acquired by Microsoft and launched Halo as an Xbox exclusive title. Bungie split from Microsoft in 2007 and is in a publishing contract with Activision. While no one has mentioned the iPhone or iOS specifically, given the size of the market, any mobile phone game in the works is likely to be targeted at Apple's platform.

Article Link: Bungie Working on a Mobile Phone Game called 'Crimson'

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
I would love to have a nice MMO(RPG?) game that I could carry around with me and play at leisure. Halo-esque would be awesome! I don't know of any good ones currently available for iOS...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

Being a huge Bungie fan, and being a huge Apple fan, I can only hope that they go back to their roots and support every Apple platform possible. Max out my 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6750M, Bungie! Blow away my retina iPad 3! Any time I see Bungie on my favorite Mac news site I can't contain myself! I can't wait to see what this brings.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Bungie can suck it!

First they told us it was about.
Making the best video games for the Macintosh.
When they started releasing PC titles they changed their tune a little and told us.
It was about making the best video games and video game experience.

Shortly after that they screwed over the Apple community completely and sold out to Microsoft.
If they think crappy ports of games like Halo that come out years after the PC equivalents or releasing an iOS game is going to change my opinion of their crappy company they can SUCK IT!

You will find me crying in my basement playing GNOP! if you need to get ahold of me...

Last edited:

Red Fox

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
Seattle
U.E.S.C Marathon

You know, they had a game that took place on a ship, called Marathon. They could do EVE Online, but the action is in the ship as well as outside. Or heading down to planets ala Halo? We had some of these elements in Marathon.

My guess is "Crimson" will be a departure from their earlier stuff.

It would be interesting to have a network of psycho computers transporting players around various ships and planets. You turn on the game and don't know if you'll be dealing with the Pfhor..er baddies..in a ship or running some asinine mission on the ground. Then you have some sort of resistance, of other players trying to build a community against the tyrannical computers. Keep the dual issues of the various alien races and crazy computers of Marathon but add the community element allowed by the internet and multiplayer environments.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Bungie was originally a Mac developer and responsible for first person shooter Marathon. Bungie, of course, was later acquired by Microsoft and launched Halo as an Xbox exclusive title.

And don't forget Pathways into Darkness or Myth.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
I think going with Microsoft was the best thing that ever happened to them.

I am totaly sure it was "the best thing that ever happened to them", the money they walked away with must have been awesome.

My point is they claimed they were all about about making the best games for the Macintosh and then they stuffed their pockets and turned their backs on the Mac community.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I am totaly sure it was "the best thing that ever happened to them", the money they walked away with must have been awesome.

My point is they claimed they were all about about making the best games for the Macintosh and then they stuffed their pockets and turned their backs on the Mac community.

In the end it became "Making the best game" Which in my opinion they did, it wasnt just about the money they got from Microsoft, it was the exposure they got being one of the biggest game series on the Xbox.

I just don't they'd have been as well known or popular had they stayed Mac only.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
In the end it became "Making the best game" Which in my opinion they did, it wasnt just about the money they got from Microsoft, it was the exposure they got being one of the biggest game series on the Xbox.

I just don't they'd have been as well known or popular had they stayed Mac only.

If you are talking about Halo they already had the game running on the Mac and even demoed it at Macworld. This was before people knew what an xbox even was.

They snubbed the Mac community and killed that version in favor of the xbox only release.

kryca

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
mmmh, Marathon or Myth on the iPad.... yum yum! That would be a nice addition.

I don't understand why people complain about the company's history. All their Mac titles have given us endless fun, that's it. Now they return. What happened in between was a business decision. Being "angry" at a company is somehow a weird concept as long as they don't sell your data or install a root kit...

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
I would love to have a nice MMO(RPG?) game that I could carry around with me and play at leisure. Halo-esque would be awesome! I don't know of any good ones currently available for iOS...

Pocket Legends is a fairly good iOS MMORPG - if your into that kinda of game. Personally, I'm not.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
If you are talking about Halo they already had the game running on the Mac and even demoed it at Macworld. This was before people knew what an xbox even was.

They snubbed the Mac community and killed that version in favor of the xbox only release.

Yes I saw that, and it didnt look nearly as good or polished as the version that came out for Xbox.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Yes I saw that, and it didnt look nearly as good or polished as the version that came out for Xbox.

Of course it didn't, because it wasn't finished.

I do not have a problem with a company or person looking out for themselves but DO NOT tell your audience/customers that we are all about them and then knee them in the groin and holding the Bill.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Dear Bungie,

Release the Marathon Trilogy for the iPad FIRST, and *then* do whatever . . .

Durandal and the S'pht are waiting, and Tycho's very unhappy. No time to was7e.

intro-terminal2.jpg

Bungie has done some amazing things...I do have to admit that Halo 3 left a bitter taste in my mouth. Never even bothered with ODST, and I thought Reach was mediocre.

They need to bring back that amazing freshness that was Marathon and Halo: Combat Evolved. Wow us again Bungie, im rooting for you:)

Last edited:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Bungie has done some amazing things...I do have to admit that Halo 3 left a bitter taste in my mouth. Never even bothered with ODST, and I though Reach was mediocre.

They need to bring back that amazing freshness that was Marathon and Halo: Combat Evolved. Wow us again Bungie, im rooting for you:)

I thought Halo 3 was ok, ODST was fairly good. And I thought Reach was brilliant.

They can't ever bring back that wow, Combat Evolved had the Wow-Factor because no other shooter was like it, nothing gave you that openness to explore, huge levels, combining vehicles, on foot, and flying parts together.

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Bungie has done some amazing things...I do have to admit that Halo 3 left a bitter taste in my mouth. Never even bothered with ODST, and I though Reach was mediocre.

ever thing everything that will ever be done is this genre has already been done?

not bashing you, it just seems people are longing for freshness and there are no ideas left!

ever thing everything that will ever be done is this genre has already been done?

not bashing you, it just seems people are longing for freshness and there are no ideas left!

Fair enough...but Id have to disagree. Im still occasionally wowed by developers in how they can really change a genre. Crysis 1 was very much that way for me...from a graphical and physics perspective. The power suit also added a nice element to the game play.[The one thing I really liked about Reach was the jetpack...it gave the game play a really cool dynamic.]

I think devs can do wonderful things when they re-imagine a franchise (i.e., RE4, Zelda Windwaker, MGS). Rage is also a great example of how a genre can grow and evolve.

Anyways, I think Bungie could do some really amazing things given the freedom and time. IMHO, they need to revisit the graphics and level of interactivity in Halo...Id love to have that dark Marathon feel back again. That said, the universe (Halo) they created is certainly awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.