Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satanor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Recently i found out that my mac will freeze when i tried to play baldur's gate 1 & 2. I got it early march and i haven't changed anything. When i open the games my mac will freeze completly , i can only hear the music playing and sometimes move the cursor. I can't do anything else except forced shutdown. I didn't play any games so far thats why i found this problem now(except starcraft 2 which runs
fine). There is a big thread about this here but is mostly for 15' and 17' models. A friend told me that the game may not support the graphic card. But this also happened once when i was playing Amnesia the dark descent. Is there something wrong or i just can't play these games? I mean they are old isn't supposed to handle them? Also when the freeze occurs my mac isn't hot or anything and the fans were normal.

Last edited:

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Sounds to me like the games are probably just too old and don't support the newer Intel 3000 HD graphics. There may not be a fix for the issue unless the game developers or someone else puts out an upgrade or there is some kind of way to patch in the support for your newer graphics. I would start with Google and see if others have ran into this issue with those games and see if anyone has a solution or work around.

I've ran into this issue myself on a Win 7 computer with a few of my older games that will no longer run, either because of graphics or because of the newer operating system. It's not so much that the newer graphics couldn't run the game as it was that the old game just doesn't recognize the newer graphics card. Wish I could have been more help. Good luck.

Satanor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for your answer. I believe this is the case for the freezing since other than that the macbook runs fine and plays any newer games. Maybe an update in the future could fix that problem. It's a shame though since these games are awesome. :(

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Thanks for your answer. I believe this is the case for the freezing since other than that the macbook runs fine and plays any newer games. Maybe an update in the future could fix that problem. It's a shame though since these games are awesome. :(

Yep!

Satanor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
I played starcraft 2 and Amnesia the dark descent. The games that froze my mac was baldur's gate 1&2. I havent tried to play another game so i dont know what will happen but i believe they will run fine. Maybe someone else with the same macbook could try some older games and post results.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
How did Amnesia play on the base 13"? Was the fan often running on high?

R

Satanor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Was running ok, fans wasnt to high and mac wasnt hot. Except one time which fans went crazy and mac froze. Other than that it runs smoothly in medium settings. So far no problem with this game.

Satanor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Does anyone know if i can play older games such as baldur's gate series with CrossOver Games or again they will freeze my mac?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Does anyone know if i can play older games such as baldur's gate series with CrossOver Games or again they will freeze my mac?

Wow baldurs gate.... That brings back memories. Yeah I would say it's the game, back then your i5 would have been considered a supercomputer :) u have more luck running xp in boot camp and playing those oldies

Satanor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Just tried to run the game on CrossOver Game but again major freeze and had to shutdown my mac. It's obviously at this point that macbook 2011 13' cant run this game or older games that cant support Intel HD 3000 graphics :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.