Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_4_side_shot.jpg
Forbes reports on a new research note from Jeffries & Co. analyst Peter Misek claiming that Apple's next-generation iPhone will be a relatively minor revamp known as the "iPhone 4S" and will debut in September. Misek also claims that Apple will be expanding carrier availability in the U.S. to include Sprint and T-Mobile by the end of the year, with China Mobile also reportedly coming on board.
"According to our industry checks, the device should be called iPhone 4S and include minor cosmetic changes, better cameras, A5 dual-core processor, and HSPA+ support," he writes in a research note.

But he also says that "industry checks indicate Apple will likely announce Sprint, T-Mobile, and China Mobile as new carriers."
The "iPhone 4S" name first gained publicity last month in claims that Apple has been providing select high-level iOS developers with souped-up iPhone 4 devices, with the source citing an unofficial name of "iPhone 4S" for the device.

Misek's report goes on to note that the next-generation iPhone is not likely to bring compatibility with faster LTE 4G networks rolling out in some markets, as the required chipsets from Qualcomm are not yet available in quantity to support the inclusion of the technology.
As for LTE, he says the Qualcomm LTE chipset Apple would have used "is currently not achieving yields sufficient for inclusion in the iPhone 5." He says Apple had hoped to have the LTE chipsets ready, but was planning a version without LTE called iPhone 4S.
The claim regarding a lack of LTE compatibility in the next-generation iPhone fits with earlier reports that the required chipsets won't be available to make their way into handsets until 2012.

Article Link: 'iPhone 4S' Coming in September With Sprint and T-Mobile Support?

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
It's entirely possible Apple gave the game developers the newer chip, but none of the other features, including physical differences. This makes the most sense as that way developers have access to everything they need, but Apple doesn't have to risk the developers leaking other information.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I'd be interested to see if Sprint and/or T-Mobile's unlimited pricing would change with the inclusion of the iPhone. Or will they just up their rates as the big 2 have done, or even take away unlimited.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
No larger screen, no 4G, no 64 GB. :rolleyes: The Samsung Galaxy S 2 is looking sweeter and sweeter.

Tony

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
No 4G?
Great, now we get to listen to the fandroid crowd for another year about LTE even if their phone gets 4 hour batter life.

ckd

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
If the GSM (or dual-mode CDMA/GSM) version is available factory-unlocked in the US, I'm there. If not, time for another Canada trip....

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I don't buy the "4GS" name. Once they committed to the generation numbering system, the next one pretty much has to be iPhone 5. Otherwise they'd have to go 4GS -> 6, which would be very un-Apple like to skip a number, as it will bring mass confusion amongst the non-techy Apple-ites.

Tony

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
No 4G?
Great, now we get to listen to the fandroid crowd for another year about LTE even if their phone gets 4 hour batter life.

If it was the other way round you can bet the 'fapple' crowd would be all over the fandroids...grow up buddy ;)

crisito

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
I don't buy the "4GS" name. Once they committed to the generation numbering system, the next one pretty much has to be iPhone 5. Otherwise they'd have to go 4GS -> 6, which would be very un-Apple like to skip a number, as it will bring mass confusion amongst the non-techy Apple-ites.

Tony

Did they go from 3GS to iPhone 5? No.

darrensmith016

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2010
Makes sense. But if apple would maintain a consistent naming convention, then we would be on iPad1S.

Good point, because to be hoesnt the only real change for the ipad 2 was the CPU and a little thinner, would make sense fo apple to call it the ipad 1s. but if the design is the same they may call it iphone 4s because its only going to be a cpu upgrade....

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Makes sense. But if apple would maintain a consistent naming convention, then we would be on iPad1S.

No, because at the time of the 3GS they were not committed to generation numbers. That happened FIRST with the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2. Now they are stuck with it. Which is good because it makes the most sense and is the least confusiing to consumers.

Tony

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010

Tony

Sooo... am I missing something... or did Apple do 3G > 3Gs > 4 ?

What would stop them doing 4 > 4s > 5?

I don't think it'll be 4Gs... as well... it's not 4G... that's where the G came from for the 3.

canderton

macrumors member
May 25, 2010

Tony

There is no "4GS", it's just "4S" and S obviously stands for speed. It makes perfect sense, it is just a faster improved iPhone 4... granted it's taking them WAY too long to update it.

d0mth0ma5

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
I don't think 4G was ever going to happen this time round, this is a global device, 4G isn't prevalent enough yet (they haven't even sold the spectrum in the UK yet).

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
Am I the only one that's mostly anticipating iOS 5 more than anything else? :eek:

I honestly don't care (as much) for the physical changes. Bring a better notification system is all I'm asking for. If the speed difference is significant, I'll upgrade as well. I just REALLY hope iOS 5 blows us all away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.