Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Connecting the screen is the only thing about it that seems to me like it would be even remotely tricky.

jessearl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
So, how about it, anybody with a Mini and an old iMac G4 willing to take on the task?

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
shake said:
the question to ask is...

WHY ?!!?

Better processor is about it. Maybe a hard drive upgrade. The other question is... do you use the older tray-loading CD drive or do you go with the newer slot-loading mini's drive? And what about the rear ports?

I guess the ultimate answer is "to say somebody's done it", but I don't see any real huge benefit either.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Hemingray said:
Better processor is about it. Maybe a hard drive upgrade. The other question is... do you use the older tray-loading CD drive or do you go with the newer slot-loading mini's drive? And what about the rear ports?

I guess the ultimate answer is "to say somebody's done it", but I don't see any real huge benefit either.

Totally agree. It would fit, but you would have complications with the CD drive not working quite as well (may even have to hack up that iMac case a bit). In the future, when the mini gets faster, it may be worthwhile... right now, you can just buy an iMac :rolleyes:

jessearl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
shake said:
the question to ask is...

WHY ?!!?

Maybe for folks who already have an iMac and want to upgrade it with a Mini. Or who have a broken iMac.

Or, my personal favorite, for people who simply love the form factor of the iMac G4.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Today I randomly thought about putting a Mini inside my Cube, and that way upgrading it, and having a Mini at the same time. :)

I don't know if I could hook up a full-size hard drive and whatnot, though...

I don't think I'ma do it, though.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
jessearl said:
Or, my personal favorite, for people who simply love the form factor of the iMac G4.

That's the key reason in my eyes too. I can't see any computer in the next few years even coming close to replicating the effortless cool exuded by the iMac G4. If it'd been less expensive, I can't help but think it'd still be with us only with a G5 chip, instead of the early retirement it got after less than three years.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
livingfortoday said:
Today I randomly thought about putting a Mini inside my Cube, and that way upgrading it, and having a Mini at the same time. :)

I don't know if I could hook up a full-size hard drive and whatnot, though...

I don't think I'ma do it, though.

it'd be a better idea to just upgarade your cube, it can go a fair bit faster than the current mini's.

if i had a spare cube case i would be tempted.....

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
no one will do it because it would be too tricky to get a mac mini wroking with the display you would be better off just buying a 1.25GHz imac and overclocking it :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.