Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13, 2011, 08:36 PM   #1
Accordguy0325
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
MacKeeper ? Any good ?

Hello all


I have been looking for an easy to use, spyware free, safe utility that will perform multiple functions to help keep my Macbook Pro and Imac squeaky clean and trouble free.

I downed loaded Mac-clense and was immediately subject to some sort of spyware- and heard the Mackeeper used to be the same way.

Does anyone here use Mackeeper ? or have used it ? Is it any good ? Can you suggest any other alternatives if Mackeeper is no good ? Thanks

Steve
Accordguy0325 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 09:13 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordguy0325 View Post
I have been looking for an easy to use, spyware free, safe utility that will perform multiple functions to help keep my Macbook Pro and Imac squeaky clean and trouble free.
MacKeeper, MacCleanse and such apps typically do more harm than good. You really don't need anything to keep your Mac running well. You don't need any anti-virus or anti-spyware apps, either. There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:
Mac Virus/Malware Info
If you insist on using some app, the only one I would recommend is Onyx. One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 10:29 PM   #3
henry72
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Zealand
I wouldn't recommend either. From my experience I'd say CleanMyMac is better than MacKeeper. To be honest, MacKeeper is a piece of ****. I've tried it recently.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro Retina (Mid-2014) | iPhone 5s 32GB Gold | iPad Air 2 | Apple TV 3
henry72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 10:36 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry72 View Post
I wouldn't recommend either. From my experience I'd say CleanMyMac is better than MacKeeper. To be honest, MacKeeper is a piece of ****. I've tried it recently.
Read what I posted about CleanMyMac, and the link posted.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 12:09 AM   #5
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordguy0325 View Post
Hello all


I have been looking for an easy to use, spyware free, safe utility that will perform multiple functions to help keep my Macbook Pro and Imac squeaky clean and trouble free.

I downed loaded Mac-clense and was immediately subject to some sort of spyware- and heard the Mackeeper used to be the same way.

Does anyone here use Mackeeper ? or have used it ? Is it any good ? Can you suggest any other alternatives if Mackeeper is no good ? Thanks

Steve
MacKeeper is a scam that preys on the ignorance of Mac users who recently switched from Windows. Virtually none of the things that MacKeeper "fixes" are problems on the Mac. It appears that MacKeeper is a simple port of PCKeeper, the developer's "Windows version." My guess is that PCKeeper is almost as useless.
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:45 AM   #6
jackZ
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Ok so now what I bought and installed MacKeeper .
I am not a ...... you know the rest .
I think the problem was probably the cable server , sometimes it's slow .
I thought after reading a little and looking at the ad for MacKeeper it looked like an apple endorsed ( not real sure why now ) item , so I bought .
I thought that due to the fact there are more Mac users there may be a lot of junk and it was running slow at times Imac7,1 10.5.8 .4ghz core2 4gb memory .I bought it new a couple of years ago .
It did it's thing( all the duplicate checks and blah blah virus scan ) and it's running but I thought after that I may have made a mistake . At first everything was really slow but seems back to normal speed now . Using it for two weeks or so now . I just browse the internet but do use the computer for banking too .
Now I'm here registered asking after the fact , should I remove MacKeeper . will it uninstall without harm !? Or just leave it and let it expire ?
I have Mac exactly for the reason that I dont have PC problems with junk viruss etc.
Imac , 13"mac book pro , Iphone3g,
Oh ya I put it on the Macbook too .
I appreciate your knowledgeable advice and apologize for doing so after the fact .
jackZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:27 AM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackZ View Post
Now I'm here registered asking after the fact , should I remove MacKeeper . will it uninstall without harm !? Or just leave it and let it expire ?
I have Mac exactly for the reason that I dont have PC problems with junk viruss etc.
You don't need MacKeeper, and removing it will not harm your system.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:31 AM   #8
Mac32
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
ClamXav? Works for me..., and it's free
Mac32 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resolved: Mackeeper Macman45 Site and Forum Feedback 29 Feb 1, 2013 02:45 PM
MacKeeper CD17 Mac Basics and Help 2 Jan 19, 2013 03:24 PM
MacKeeper Boslandew iMac 9 Dec 2, 2012 04:57 PM
Mackeeper Alkalidodo MacBook Pro 6 Jul 4, 2012 03:10 PM
MacKeeper moderngamenewb Mac Applications and Mac App Store 5 Jun 20, 2012 04:09 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC