Like Button Only 119 15.93%
Other 22 2.95%
Voters: 747. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 12:01 PM   #1
InsanelyApple
macrumors 6502a

Can we please remove the vote buttons?

They are really annoying. We've removed them from the home page. Now lot's remove them from the posts. I thought that they would be a good idea at first, but now I don't think that? Why?

1) It's childish. This is a forum of adults and teenagers, not Kindergarden, let's try to act our own ages.
2) Any "anti-Apple" opinion gets a million arrow downs. Here is an example of how this would happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Example Thread Starter
I need to do Excel spreadsheets and a lot of other businessy stuff. Should I get a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140IQ
Sounds like you should get a Windows computer. That would be better suited for your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefanboi123
Quote:
Originally Posted by 140IQ
Sounds like you should get a Windows computer. That would be better suited for your needs.
what r u crazy a mac wuld b best 4 anyhting long live !!!!!!11

Okay, I know it's not that extreme in most cases, but I've seen stuff similar to this since the vote buttons have been added. Here is a real example of this type of action.

3) People can rate there own posts. Cheating the system = ... not really. (See if no one has voted on this thread besides me, that Up vote is from me.)
4) Maybe if arn doesn't want it completely removed we can be like Facebook, a like button, no dislike button.

I'll post anymore ideas as I think of them.
Old May 14, 2011, 12:05 PM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanelyApple View Post
I'll post anymore ideas as I think of them.
How about ignoring them? That's what I do and it's been 100% effective so far. I think the post ratings are pretty stupid as well, but until they start making substantive changes to how threads are viewed it's not worth bothering with.
Old May 14, 2011, 01:21 PM   #3
VulchR
macrumors 68000

This is the one of the only tools available to dissuade spamming the iPhone forum – voting down the thread, voting down posts and adding spammers to the ignore list being the only three ways of trying to stop the tide of Android 'information'.

Indeed, I'd like to see threads and posts that are rated low to be automatically removed.
Old May 14, 2011, 01:51 PM   #4
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

You really care enough to write that whole post?

I won't vote because I think it would be hypocritical to vote on something as I find online polls inane.
Old May 14, 2011, 02:53 PM   #5
ravenvii
macrumors 604

I agree - remove the votes, they're useless. Even for regulation, they serve no purpose because the only difference voting makes is a number on the post. It does not send the post into obivion a la the Engadget comments, nor does it affect the poster (discouraging him from post such junk again).

In other words, it's just clutter.
ravenvii is online now   -8
Old May 14, 2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Doctor Q
Administrator

They (or at least the UP buttons) do serve a purpose. Top-voted posts are shown under the news story.
Old May 14, 2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Apple OC
macrumors 68040

have you considered professional help for your Vote Button Issues?

most people just ignore it and live normal productive lives
Old May 15, 2011, 12:30 AM   #8
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
The voting system test is still ongoing.

I have some tweaks to make before we can see how it's performing. As there is no major consequence for getting negative votes, I don't think that people seem to object too much.

We may try the Like-only system, but still working on it...

arn
arn is offline   15
Old May 15, 2011, 01:35 AM   #9
AWallen90
macrumors 6502

I agree that most non-apple comments get quite a few negative. It is nice to vote of ignorant or great comments.
AWallen90 is offline   13
Old May 15, 2011, 02:28 AM   #10
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Anyone who answers such a question with 'Sounds like you should get a Windows computer. That would be better suited for your needs' deserves every negative vote they get! (So does the second answer mind you.)

When there was no official voting systems, you had lots of comments of this variety:
Quote:
This ^^
Or this:
Quote:
+1
So why not give the punters what they want and reduce the overall need for these comments?

BTW, your poll wording reminds me of the worst kind of Microsoft Windows dialog:

Quote:
Remove vote buttons?
(Yes) (No) (Like Button Only) (Other)
I can just see someone who wants to keep the vote buttons accidentally voting yes, and vice versa.

Last edited by annk; Jun 7, 2011 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Post merge - please use the multi-quote function
kalsta is offline   13
Old May 25, 2011, 09:56 AM   #11
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
The voting system test is still ongoing.

I have some tweaks to make before we can see how it's performing. As there is no major consequence for getting negative votes, I don't think that people seem to object too much.

We may try the Like-only system, but still working on it...

arn
A 'like' button would be much more logical. The news threads had already deteriorated as it was...you've added fuel to the fire and made it worse (IMO of course). The +/- system just doesn't work...it didn't work on the news articles and its certainly not working in the forums.

A 'like' button is much more logical. Its a simple, quick way of agreeing. If you disagree, the whole purpose of a forum is for debate...
rmwebs is offline   -4
Old May 25, 2011, 10:03 AM   #12
DeaconGraves
macrumors 65816

Just my two cents, but I find the vote buttons irrelvant. I rarely even notice them until someone brings it up in a particular thread.

So I say keep them for the folks who like them.

Side note: It's rather funny how people are arguing for these vote buttons to go away while others are arguing for the vote buttons on the main page to come back.
DeaconGraves is offline   9
Old May 25, 2011, 08:39 PM   #13
Pink∆Floyd
Banned

I say anything the staff does in order to further improve the site whether it be of minimal or great importance, is a great addition!

Of course there are going to be people who oppose to this new system and those who think it's a great new addition, either way, any change is welcomed
Pink∆Floyd is offline   0
Old May 26, 2011, 07:25 PM   #14
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
Anyone who answers such a question with 'Sounds like you should get a Windows computer. That would be better suited for your needs' deserves every negative vote they get! (So does the second answer mind you.)

When there was no official voting systems, you had lots of comments of this variety:

Or this:

So why not give the punters what they want and reduce the overall need for these comments?
I've noticed since the voting buttons were installed users will receive warnings and have their posts deleted for replying with +1.
Old May 26, 2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
I've noticed since the voting buttons were installed users will receive warnings and have their posts deleted for replying with +1.
"+1" posts have been against the rules for some time, it's not a new policy since the redesign.
Nermal is offline   8
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:24 AM   #16
Mobius 1
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to Mobius 1 Send a message via Skype™ to Mobius 1
This is stupid

You know the up and down rating on this forum?

It's stupid on youtube and now this?
Mobius 1 is offline   -12
Old Jun 6, 2011, 01:29 PM   #17
Krovem
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to Krovem
I just ignore them, I dont even notice the system is there lol.
Krovem is offline   0
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:54 PM   #18
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I like the vote buttons. I say keep them.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:29 AM   #19
Hankster
macrumors 68000

I like the Like/Dislike buttons. When a user posts something stupid they get some feedback on it. Also, it gives a great post some props.

iMac - MacBook Air - iPhone - iPad - Shuffle - Nikon
Hankster is online now   25
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:53 AM   #20
Littleodie914
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
They (or at least the UP buttons) do serve a purpose. Top-voted posts are shown under the news story.
I've been a pretty big fan of this so far. Gives an "at-a-glance" summary of the community's stance on a particular news item.
Littleodie914 is offline   5
Old Jun 9, 2011, 05:15 AM   #21
Skika
macrumors 68020

"Like only" would be great.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:33 AM   #22
Radoo
macrumors member

I was looking for this thread. Good idea! From the pool, though, it seems there are allot of vote-hunters. The only step craziest than this, is to create some kind of MMO leveling based on voting.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:47 AM   #23
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
I agree - remove the votes, they're useless. Even for regulation, they serve no purpose because the only difference voting makes is a number on the post. It does not send the post into obivion a la the Engadget comments, nor does it affect the poster (discouraging him from post such junk again).

In other words, it's just clutter.
I think what the original poster is trying to say is that fanboys typically ruin any actual use for the system. They are the first to plonk en masse on the buttons (many normal users couldn't care less about them to begin with) so if the site did delete low-rated posts, you'd simply have Fanboy World (which the fanboys would LOVE but normal people with more than just a one-sided view of the world would move somewhere else). Similarly, most of the front page voting that involved Apple went along similar lines (huge + for news that's good for Apple and huge - for any lawsuits, etc. against them or progress by anyone other than Apple). That only tells you what you already know. Fanatics love Apple. It doesn't tell you anything about the real world. It was more useful for non-Apple topics whereas voting tended to reflect a more general consensus.

Maybe the site needs a preference option to flag oneself as a fanatic and then voting could be separated by a color flag so that one could tell fanatical voting from normal voting. Then it might be useful, assuming one could actually get all fanatics to admit it or flag their account for them. Maybe they could just have a big scarlet "A" (for Apple of course) on their posts....

Then we could have a site option to ignore either normal or fanatic posts and all the fanatics could only see fanatic posts and the rest of us could only see non-fanatic posts and those that want to see both could see both. Division/separation by CHOICE would be wonderful, IMO. I can only imagine how awesome a Mac Rumors site free of fanatical/emotional posting would be. Think of all the needless arguing that would end. People could discuss things freely without being bombarded by emotional nonsense and those that love Apple could be surrounded by a giant ocean of Apple flavored Kool-Aid with no land in site. They'd be in bliss. Both sides would be happy and neither would have to put up with the other ever again.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:14 PM   #24
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
Can you expand on this? Not sure to what you are referring.

Also, any way to see the highest and lowest rated post at-a-glance? This could be one way to make the buttons a bit more useful.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:01 PM   #25
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
Can you expand on this? Not sure to what you are referring.
View any article, for example this, and at the bottom there is a Top Rated Comments section.
kainjow is offline   5

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback