Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old May 14, 2011, 02:14 PM   #1
rolandoislas
macrumors newbie

Non User Specific Symbolic Link

I have been trying to create a non user specific symbolic link that points to ~/Library/Application Support.

I tried:
Code:
ln -s ~/Library/Application\ Support Drag\ Here\ to\ Install
This creates the symbolic link that works on my user, but when it is moved to another user it doesn't work. I thought I was creating it wrong, so I created one for the applications folder.
Code:
ln -s /Applications Drag\ Here\ to\ Install
The symbolic link for the Applications folder works. How can I get the first one to work without being user specific. Is this possible with a symbolic link? If not can somebody tell me of any other way I can achieve this.

Last edited by rolandoislas; May 14, 2011 at 05:12 PM.
rolandoislas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Hansr
macrumors 6502a

Symbolic links are always hardcoded, ~ will always be translated to /Users/YOU/ when creating them. What are you trying to accomplish precisely?
Hansr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 02:55 PM   #3
rolandoislas
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansr View Post
Symbolic links are always hardcoded, ~ will always be translated to /Users/YOU/ when creating them. What are you trying to accomplish precisely?
I have created a dmg that contains files that must be placed in the users Application Support folder. I would like the symbolic link there so that the user can just drag the folder onto the link instead of going to ~/Library/Application Support.

I have tried using an installer package to accomplish this , but I cant seem to get it to install the files to "Application Support"
Old May 14, 2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Perhaps you could whip out a quick little app that does the job? Just something that takes dropped files (perhaps verifying that those are the right files) and puts them where you need them?
Old May 14, 2011, 05:11 PM   #5
rolandoislas
macrumors newbie

I decided to go with the package installer. It doesn't have the convenience of drag and drop like a symbolic link would, but it gets the job done.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming